Interesting Palm effect UPDATED WITH TEST BURN RESULTS

Mozzie

Hi all, I've taken a break from trying to create an 'everlasting' candle with palm wax and decided to do straight pillars instead. I know that palm wax is unpredictable but I'd never have expected this result. Scented Lavender. Fingers crossed for the test burn, I'm using 30ply flat braid.

Hi, just editing to add that the 30ply flat braid was too small in the end - kept wanting to drown out. I'm about the try the 36ply instead.

post-592-139458397175_thumb.jpg

Hi all, I've taken a break from trying to create an 'everlasting' candle with palm wax and decided to do straight pillars instead. I know that palm wax is unpredictable but I'd never have expected this result. Scented Lavender. Fingers crossed for the test burn, I'm using 30ply flat braid.
That's an ultra cool effect. I wonder if you can reproduce it. Nice coloring too.

That's an ultra cool effect. I wonder if you can reproduce it. Nice coloring too.

A, I'm wondering too. I've documented all the usual blurb but this wax has been remelted 3 times during the 'everlasting' saga so hope that's not the cause. I'm thinking that it might be how the mould was heated - originally in the oven on a low setting then zapped with the heat gun before pouring. Sure would love to be able to repeat it. M

I have had several turn out like that in the last few weeks. One of them looks like a checkered effect! Don't know how it happened because I didn't do anything different than any other time. :confused: I will try to get pics tomorrow so I can post them for you to see.;)

You gotta love this wax! That is an awesome looking candle--the color, the effects-just awesome! I will be curious to know how it burns for you. Is that a 4 x 6 pillar? I usually use a 45 ply flat braid for that size so please let us know how it burns, ok?

I have just begun to work with the palm wax, so I don't really know what I'm doing, but it is sooo much fun to work with it as your results are different every time. Your candle is elegantly beautiful! I love that color too! I have found that HTP 105 or RRD 47 works well for me.

Great job, love the color! I don't know where you get your palm but....I use C&S crystal piller & have tested extensively with this wax & I have consistently found this .....I can reproduce the effect you got buy pouring hotter into heated metal molds (around 200-210). The cooler I pour the wax the more crystal effect I get. This wax is all about pouring temps=effects ;)

I can reproduce the effect you got buy pouring hotter into heated metal molds (around 200-210). The cooler I pour the wax the more crystal effect I get.

Thanks for the tip. I've just poured another pillar - same wax, different colour and fo and it doesn't have any effects at all. All I can think of is that the mould and room were both slightly cooler and the wax wasn't heated as high. Hmmmm.

Lori, it's 3 x 4. Will let you know how it burns.

Thank you everyone for the positive feedback - it's very heart warming.

Looks GREAT, Mozzie!! I am having the same changes with crystals and palm wax... Lately, I have not been able to reproduce the "fireworks effect" and I am beating my head trying to replicate the exact conditions... The temperature here has wormed up considerably from when we poured the others, so I think that has to be a factor. BUT what you said about the remelt and then nada rings a bell here.

Palm wax scary? Nah... Interesting? You betcha. Frustrating? Sometimes...

Donita, I have been using palm for some 'cane experiments if that says anything about what a glutton for punishment I am...:D:laugh2:Bonzaaaaiiiiiiiiiii................

Are the molds aluminimum or tin? I've done a bunch of testing and alum. (sp.:laugh2: ) is the best. Don't use tin unless thats all you have.

Soja

Hi Soja, they're aluminium. I tried with a pipe mould but that did weird things to the pillar when contracting. I also have tin but after avidly reading all your posts decided to stick with the aluminium. I'm test burning at the moment and the 30 ply seems to be working out well. What's your preference for the 3" pillars? Mozzie

I just love how that candle looks! I have yet to even think about using Palm Wax but guess I am going to have to check the classifieds and see if anyone is selling any!! Thanks, just what I need, ANOTHER project to try! LOL What I am learning about candle making is that it is never ending............and by God, so is the testing!!! Urrrrrrrrg! LOL

Thanks for sharing and again, great job! Post pictures of it lit!!

Are the molds aluminimum or tin?
I am using aluminum molds. I have reproduced the "problem" in all of the different mold compositions I have - tin, aluminum, china, plastic & silicon.

We are still investigating this one... velly interesting...:confused: