POLL: Palm wax suppliers/results

I'm almost ready for my next order of palm wax. I would like to know from the professionals (You guys :) ) Which palm wax you use, your results and your suggestions as to the 'best' wax to get, and from where. I'm looking for what everyone else is looking for...

Good pattern, consistancy, scent throw... etc.

Please respond...:D

BTW... This is the most awesome board! I have learned so much from you people and have been helped by some very considerate and generious crafters. My family now considers ME to be their candle expert! :tongue2:

Thanks folks...

Soja (And Linda, my wonderful wife.)

Candlewic http://www.candlewic.com/store/category.aspx?q=cPalm

You can buy 5 lb samples of the palm 2 ( crystalizing ) and palm 3 ( feathering) for $6.00 each. Or you can get 1 lb samples for $1.25

I would also suggest getting at least a lb of vybar 343

http://www.candlewic.com/Store/Product.aspx?q=c11,p676

Even though it is for mottled candles, by adding a tsp. per lb it allows you to increase the fo load if you so choose.

Candlewic's palm has consistent results, it flies out of the molds and for me it's very easy to work with.

(*note* I am not in any way affiliated with candlewic, I just reallly like their palm waxes :D )

I use candlewic's palm and I have to add stearic to get the candles out of the molds.

I haven't tried vybar. You use it in each batch of candles? I thought I read somewhere that vybar is meant for paraffin wax.

The wax produces very pretty candles but it is kind of hard to wick.

I would like to know from the professionals

Well, we aren't pros by any stretch of sane imagination, but we're TOTALLY GONE on palm wax, so here's the sum total of our knowledge:

We've been using JBN's palm wax and their palm stearic. We have experienced a wide range of crystal patterns from none at all, to so many the candle looks almost frosted, and everything in between. We have observed different effects depending on the pouring temp, room temp, mold temp, mold composition, amount of wax used in the project, shape of the mold and amount of stearic used thus far. I expect that humidity will begin to figure in there also as we go into our humid season here in LA. Except for the candles which came out with no visible crystallization (perfect in every other way - just no fun patterns and stuff), we have been very happy with all our palm results, even the unexpected ones! The palm wax is a little unpredictable to obtain the exact same results from batch to batch, but we are testing under tight conditions to get the effects "dialed in." Some effects are more difficult to achieve consistantly than others.

As far as fragrance throw, we find it is slightly less than the C-3 soy we use, but only slightly - the cold and hot scent throw are great (using FOs and EOs from several sources - EOs have less scent throw than FOs, as expected). We like a very fragrant candle, but seldomly exceed 1 oz. per pound. If a scent doesn't have much throw at that dose rate, we just don't reorder that scent again.

We have never had a problem with the palm wax releasing well from any mold (with or without stearic) EXCEPT when we got too impatient and tried to release too early... no amount of stearic acid can compensate for impatience and shooting oneself in da foot!! ;)

No need for a spray finish to obtain SHINE - JBN's palm wax hardens really well and buffs to a high gloss to enhance the patterns - not as soft or greasy-feeling as other waxes. :grin2:

I've been using S&P's container wax blend. Has great hot and cold throw with most of the fragrances, better than the soys I tested. I've been wicking with RRDs, but would be curious to try something else to see if I could get a more stable flame. It seems to hold about 7% FO, sometimes more, depending on the oil.

I'm on the west coast, and they have a warehouse close by, so it's easy for me to get a hold of, cheaper shipping. They're out of NY. I've always gotten quick replies from them.

I too use Candlewic's palm waxes, but have never added stearic. My pillars come out of their molds easily...all except this one mold I have...it is one of those pyramid type molds and I have not even been able to get my paraffin pillars out of that one! The palm 2 which is the crystallizing one comes out with a consistent pattern. The palm 3 which is the feathering wax is forever surprising me with it's patterns and it's a lot of fun to work with.

candlesandsupplies.com crystal pillar is awesome! Beautiful candles everytime, good throw hot or cold, & comes out of mold easily.

wax-fp.gif

Cathy, I love this picture on their website. Does it really look like this?

I am going to ditto on the Candlewic. I do add both stearic and Vybar 343. The stuff just flies out of the mold with no problems at all. I know most people (including my fiance) really love the feathering, but I dig the crystallizing a lot.:grin2:

For palm pillars I use Candles & Supplies crystal pillar wax (not the feathering). I absolutely LOVE this wax. Changing the pour temp will greatly effect the crystal patterns, from a suede look to almost an iced/frosted appearance. I have tested over 25 FO's and have not had to change size in wicking for my 3" mold at all. Cold throw is fantastic, hot throw is fair but IMO I don't really see pillars as great hot throwers anyway (I use only 6% FO). I use candlewic for palm container, but I find that palm container wax is very unpredictable as for wicking & will probably sell the 30+ lbs I have :tongue2:. HTH