smoothing out rough soap (CP soap)

KFTS

I have the tall type 3 lb loaf mold. I cut the next day and the cutting surfaces are rough. Did I cut too soon or is this normal? (this is ony my fourth batch of soap). Any way to smooth them out? It's the large surface area that is rough, not the ends. Also, I didn't color and it discolored a beige color and has mottling. I didn't know soap could mottle. I think I could win an ugliest soap ever contest

I am new as well, so may not be much help. If you put a FO in the soap with vanilla in it, it will cause the tan/brown discoloration you are talking about. I had a soap as well that got kinda speckled in it, but never figured out what caused it. As for the roughness, this is just a guess. I noticed that mine did that everytime I took a cut through the soap. I try to wipe the blade off after each time, because it seems to drag through the soap. Anyway, I am sure someone who knows more about this will show up and help ya out. :D

I think the brown was from the milk. The recipe (from Creekside soaps--came with the mold) said to add it last after you had mixed everything but it turned brown anyway. THe scent was oakmoss sage from MMS and the recipe had a lot of olive oil in it so I figured it wasn't going to be white, but the mottling has me curious how that happened. I'm used to only my candles doing that!

Another newbie here...

The only times my soap had a mottled look was when I poured at a thicker trace. When I actually time it right and pour sooner I don't get that look.

As far as the rough edges...I don't know. Some one will come along soon.

Another newbie here...

The only times my soap had a mottled look was when I poured at a thicker trace. When I actually time it right and pour sooner I don't get that look.

As far as the rough edges...I don't know. Some one will come along soon.

ah-ha! yeah, it was almost custardy when I put into the mold, a little too long with the immersion blender I guess. thank you

I agree about cleaning the blade. In addition to that, sounds like your soap is too soft to cut. Give it an extra day or two in the mold. (don't worry, I've cut 2 week old soap with no problems, it won't be too hard)

It is harder to get smooth when it's thicker going into the mold. Try pouring at a lighter trace next time, and bang your mold on the countertop a few times to help more evenly distribute the soap batter and eliminate pesky air bubbles. Be sure you have your goggles on when you do this -- soap specks can fly! Ask me how I know ... :grin2:

I just got one of those soap shavers from Kangaroo and love it. It shaves off a thin layer of soap and makes your bars really smooth. I do this after they dry for a few weeks. I plan on using the scraps for little samples.

Is it the beveler? That was all I could find on the site.