Couple questions regarding "How to Burn a Yank**" candle

Okay, so I broke down and purchased my very first Yank** candle. I wanted to compare my burn times with a Yank**. I use soy and two wicks. I wanted to know what I was talking about, when a customers says. "Yours has a stronger scent, but Yank**'s lasts longer. Well, I purchased a 22 oz Vanilla Carmel-YUMMY!!!!!. Here's what has happened so far.

(I do burn these in the exact same testing area, that I test my candles.)

1st burn - 3.5 hours - no FMP (hit one side) - no scent either.

2nd burn - 5 hours - no FMP (less than 1st burn)

3rd burn - 5 hours - no FMP (less than 2nd burn, can you see where I'm going with this?)

4th burn (currently happening) - going on 2 hours - no FMP and it is fizzling out.

SO, here are my questions. How long should it take to achieve a FMP in a Yank** 22 oz candle?

Also, if it burns like this for me (a candlemaker), how does it burn for other people.

Oh, and one more questions. Why is it that people "Just love Yank** candles!!!"?

Needless to say, that I will be taking this candle back to the store that I bought it from. I am not paying $21.00 for a candle that burns like a dollar store candle. I know that I would have no problem reimbursing my customers for a burning malfunction like this.

Anyway, thank you for any answers you can give me, to help me understand this "wonderful" candle. Also, thank you for letting me rant a bit.

Thanks

Tracy

How could theirs last longer if there is so much wax wastage? Are your customers comparing their 22 oz candle with your 22 oz candle, or are yours slightly smaller?

Whenever I go to other people's houses and see a partially used Y**kee candle there, there is always a bunch of wax hangup on the sides. So yeah, they are having the same problem as you. Of course, there are also those who marathon burn, these folks probably were able to get FMP.

I've wanted to know why that particular candle company was so popular as well. I refused to buy a candle but a few years ago I broke down an purchased a few tarts and felt absolutley foolish afterwards when I got home and realized that I could make the same thing and it would certainly last longer and cost less! I never purchased another tart from anyone, ever again. I can't see paying that much for a canlde but they have managed to build an excellent reputation with people who don't mind paying for them. I have purchased gel candles that had awesome throw and lasted longer than most wax candles and it only cost $2.00 at a local pharmacy. I will be venturing into that area of candle making as well....:D love the easy cleanup which is what interested me about soy candles.

I was going to take the candle back and ask for a refund, but my husband I thought that it may be worth it to keep it as a show sample. More of a

"How a poor quality candle will look after proper burning." It is just unbelievable to me, how this candle looks. If I had my camera dock hooked up, I would show a pic of it.

I'll tell ya what, Yank** doesn't "hold a candle" to my candles. :grin2:

Get it????:laugh2:

Thanks a bunch.

My daughter-in-law and her husband gave me a Yank Candle gift package which included an apothecary jar, a votive, and a candle tin. She knows I make my own to burn, but thought it might be nice to try something different.

So, the first candle I burned was the apothecary and burned it just like I do my own. No full melt pool after the first burn and every burn after that. It left a huge wax hang up all the way around. After every burn, it left oil residue on the top of the wax. Never did burn the right way all the way down.

Next I burned the votive which tunneled right down the middle and never did burn right in the votive cup. The candle tin did the same thing; never got a full melt pool with this either.

Both the apothecary and the candle tin had single wicks which I feel should have been double wicked. Both had oil residue on the top of the wax after it cooled which I think might have been caused by the use of too much fragrance oil.

The prices of these candles are quite high and to me are not worth the money if they don't burn the way they are intended to burn.

I found out a month ago, our local floral shop was selling Yank candles. I didn't even bother to go look at them; just kind of grinned and shrugged it off knowing they weren't worth my time.

Just because they have a famous name and cost more doesn't mean they are any good and Yank proved that fact. Even though I haven't been making candles that long, mine still burn and smell better than theirs. My friends and family think so, too.

:D

I just bought a tart in one of their new scents, Fruit Punch, just to see how it compared. Will try tomorrow. I do think their wax is neat. What wax do you think it is? My husband thinks it could have some palm wax in it. It has like a sparkle or maybe a sugar-type effect. If anyone's seen them, what do you think???

I havn't checked many yank candles out, but had the chance to do so this weekend. Oh My!! Do all of them have a crystalized top on them? Or just the few I sae? I also saw a couple burning at my dentists office and wow at the soot on the jars. :( I think I would be ashamed if mine turned out like that with the soot problem. :tiptoe:

I always bought Yankee before making my own. It was what led me to making my own. I was frustrated with the hang up, I always ended up having half a candle left over, and the clouds of black smoke. They are all bad about it.

I looked at some of their candles this past week at BB & B & didn't like the finish on most of them. Most had a bubbly, cruddy looking mess on top. If this 2281 is what a mottling wax (which I've never used) looks like, then I know I will never be trying that wax. I like a smooth, somewhat firm finish without crystals or bubbles. I did buy one of their tarts (only to compare). When I opened pkg, the wax looked sort of crumbly. After melting in warmer, I poured in a tart mold, then it looked smooth after cooling. Don't know why it looked different after meltiing down unless maybe it was an old tart and was drying out around edges. It also didn't throw any better or last any longer than one of my weaker ones. I can't believe people are paying $1.49 for their tarts, although I did it this once for comparison purposes.

If i heard correctly, that would be the Votives, not the jar candles. Whats crazy is with soy, you get great burn times but with 10% to 20% wax left on the sides 110 to 140 or so for a med jar with one wick. But now people rather have no wax :o on the sides, and have 2 wicks and 65 to 80 hours. Guess you have to give them what they want.