Yesterdays Show

Veronica

Beautiful weather....Show Sucked!

I did this show in December (my first show) and made 7 1/2x booth fee.

I didn't think I would make as much this time....I know people were buying christmas gifts in December, but I thought I would at least make a little!

I only sold three candles (no bunnies) and four mushrooms and two of the candles I sold I didn't even have with me I have to make them! That was the only good thing about the show......A couple remembered me from the Christmas show and came looking for me, I didn't have what they wanted with me (light houses) so they ordered them.

I think the only one who did good in the show was the lady across from me selling jewelry (she made a killing) but even most of her sales were returning customers that came looking for her, half of them were picking up special orders.

Anyone else having luck with small craft shows this time of year?

Veronica,

your candles are beautiful!

If it makes you feel any better my last 2 shows were slow. The next one should be better, I sold really well there before (late November) & I've already emailed my buyers about the show & offered a 10% discount. I hope they come out & bring friends, lots of friends.

Only food and jewlery will make money this time of the year with a few exceptions. Candles kick but in the sept to dec7th selling period. If you continue they will remember you and buy when they are ready. We did 2 shows and basically broke even but already people have noticed us from the 2 shows and are taking business cards etc.

I can sympathize with you regarding your apparent but suprising lack of sales. Looking at the photos, (and wishing you had close-ups,) from what I can see you do amazing work!

I too have had booths set up and had some of my best work there - but sold mostly votives. The amount of money made didn't cover the booth cost, and the people making a 'killin' were either selling paintings and jewelery. Since packing them everything back up was difficult, even shifting gears and reducing items didn't help much either.

Buyers are funny that way - and very difficult to predict buying trends.

Wishing you all the best next time..

-Robert

http://www.robertfrase.com/My%20Candles.htm

Sorry to hear about the show Veronica. Hopefully the next one will be better. Your display and candles look great. Were you able to pass out many business cards? I hope so - I get a little business through my cards.

I did my first show of the year yesterday here in my own town and only sold one candle. Candlewitch is right. The woman selling food made a killing. the show I did happens once a month and I was thinking I will probably do more to get to know the people and when they are ready to buy hopefully they will buy from me. I look at it as an advertisement cost. Heck nobody (at least around here) looks in the newspapers for ads so not all was lost.

I'm sooo surprised you didn't sell some of those bunnies, with Easter coming up, man I would have definitely bought one of those, they are just too cute and very original. :D

Sorry you didn't do that well, but hey, like someone else said, look at it as advertising, and once people see you again and again, they'll know you're there to stay and will eventually buy from ya. ;)

I can't hardly give away the carved stuff anymore. Thats why I dont make or bring it to shows anymore except for Christmas and Mothers Day. We did decide to try some of our smaller carved stuff this year. I have a small candle that I carve and sell for 6.95 that I think might do ok this time of year. Back in the "old" days I would dip 4 at a time with a jig that I made up and carve them like a crazy man. ;) Bruce

I, too, am shocked that those beautiful candles didn't sell! All I can say is that your candles and displays are beautiful and very professional looking. This is making me very nervous--I have a show weekend after next that was very good for me last year, but you never know from one year to the next!!

Better luck next time--and hopefully the advertising will pay off.

Jane