Any tips on making perfume with Cyclomethicone NF ?

zanny1978

Hi Suzanne! I have never made perfume with Cyclo but do know of a pretty good resource for specific blending advice. Over on Bittercreek's board there is a thread detailing ratios, miscibility, etc.

Cyclomethicone, which FO's mix & which don't!

I've been a registered member of that board for so many years that I cannot remember if you need to register to view threads. HTH! :)

• 2 weeks later...
You can use FCO (Fractionated Coconut Oil) & FO, works great and FCO is cheeper than cyclo. FCO is a dry oil, not oily or greasy, goes on real smooth and drys to a soft & silky feeling. Also FCO is great because it has a very long shelf life.

Will this work very well for very dry skin if used as a after shower spray? I guess what I am asking is how long does it last?

You can use FCO (Fractionated Coconut Oil) & FO, works great and FCO is cheeper than cyclo. FCO is a dry oil, not oily or greasy, goes on real smooth and drys to a soft & silky feeling. Also FCO is great because it has a very long shelf life.

is the FCO sprayable or do you have to use roll-on type application?

I make a lot of body sprays with cyclo and FO.

If your bottles are clear, you will find that some FO's altho they work and smell great, they will be cloudy. You will also see that when thery are left sitting around, you will see the FO laying on the bottom. Shake the heck out of them before each use and they are just fine.

I have seen posts to mix the FO with FCO and then mix with cyclo to keep it from clouding up. I haven't had much luck with that on the FO's I have tried. HTH

• 3 weeks later...
I make a lot of body sprays with cyclo and FO.

If your bottles are clear, you will find that some FO's altho they work and smell great, they will be cloudy. You will also see that when thery are left sitting around, you will see the FO laying on the bottom. Shake the heck out of them before each use and they are just fine.

I have seen posts to mix the FO with FCO and then mix with cyclo to keep it from clouding up. I haven't had much luck with that on the FO's I have tried. HTH

If you mix your sprays with cyclo and FO's and your mixes are cloudy, then you can add FCO to them to make them clear and mixed without separating.

However, different FO's will take different amounts of FCO. Some may need only an 1/8 of an ounce and others may take up to an ounce or more. (this is for an 16 oz bottle of spray.) You will have to play around with the amounts, but it really does work. You will have a "eureka" moment when the oil clears - LOL.

Make sure that you use fractionated coconut oil. It is a liquid. The regular coconut oil is a solid at room temp. HTH

OK, so the FCO does not stain clothing or furniture? I make my sprays now with cyclo and FO, which are very good sellers for me but the cyclo is so expensive, I am going to have to try the FCO if it definitely does not stain, I will have to make a tester now to see:smiley2:

OK, so the FCO does not stain clothing or furniture? I make my sprays now with cyclo and FO, which are very good sellers for me but the cyclo is so expensive, I am going to have to try the FCO if it definitely does not stain, I will have to make a tester now to see:smiley2:

Yes you can use just FCO & FO to make sprays and FCO is cheeper than Cyclo.

Today I made up a bottle of 1/2 cyclo and 1/2 FCO w/ FO and I am really liking it so far. I have yet to spray it on any fabric but will do so tomorrow, I just can't believe it does not stain. Sure would love not to have to pay so much for cyclo anymore, even if I did a 50/50 blend:yay: