Lavender soap

Lorrie

Ok, how do you all color lavender soap. I have heard stories that it is very hard to get a nice shade of lavender when doing cp and that your lavender soap end up morphing to a grayish color. So for those of you that have lavender colored soap What's your secret?

I've gotten that color 3 ways.

1. Blue food coloring -- goes purple in an alkaline environment

2. UM Violet

3. Liquid purple colorant from Dragon Lily Essentials

HTH!

Oh, the gray color results from not using enough.

Thanks everyone and Thank you AJ!

Alkanet seed infused in oil is a natural coloring option. Depending on the ph of your soap, you will get a color in the range from lavender to deep blue to purple. I believe the Miller Soap site has pictures of an alkanet seed colored soap batch - hers turned a very dark purple.

I made a discovery tonight - I have been hearing raves about subbing RBO for a portion of OO in recipes - so I tired it. The jury is still out on this one as there were so many issues that occurred using the RBO and one of them was a colorant issue. My lavender soap turned out the ugliest color I have ever made in all my years of soapin'. The only difference in the recipe was the RBO, everything else and every procedure was the same 'ole same 'ole.

I made a discovery tonight - I have been hearing raves about subbing RBO for a portion of OO in recipes - so I tired it. The jury is still out on this one as there were so many issues that occurred using the RBO and one of them was a colorant issue. My lavender soap turned out the ugliest color I have ever made in all my years of soapin'. The only difference in the recipe was the RBO, everything else and every procedure was the same 'ole same 'ole.

Aha, that is why my MMS Lavender Fields did not turn lavender last time I used it. I used RBO instead of OO. I never thought of that!! Instead, it came out more of a royal blue color. While I like how my soap and color turned out, I really wanted a deep purple since I was soaping Goddess but, Lavender Fields was all I had and I knew I had gotten a good color from it before - just not dark.

I have trouble getting red's with my RBO. Even with red oxide it comes out purple. I use riceland. Any suggestions Gene? (or anyone else)

For now I just use Olive instead of RBO when I'm shooting for reds..

I use mostly fd&c color and don't have problems. Don't understand why the oil would cause problems? Color mutations in soap are nearly always a result of the high ph

Have you tried D&C red 33 Lake?

Aha, that is why my MMS Lavender Fields did not turn lavender last time I used it. I used RBO instead of OO. I never thought of that!! Instead, it came out more of a royal blue color. While I like how my soap and color turned out, I really wanted a deep purple since I was soaping Goddess but, Lavender Fields was all I had and I knew I had gotten a good color from it before - just not dark.

I made soap a few weeks ago with RBO and used lavender fields and it is a medium purple. I also used mostly white oils though, that might have something to do with it.

... Don't understand why the oil would cause problems? Color mutations in soap are nearly always a result of the high ph

Have you tried D&C red 33 Lake?

Olive oil used in high %s can affect the color a bit, since it's so yellow. Kind of like fighting the automatic white color of wax to get dark colors, It skews the color a bit. The old Labcolor site had a color chip chart that was separate for high olive products for that reason...