Wholesale Intro Packet Questions...

BizzyBs

I am sending out some wholesale information packets to local businesses and have an introduction letter stating they can request a free candle to sample and a wholesale brochure. What I am wondering is should I give my wholesale prices on this "cold" mailing...or should I wait to give them this information until they request the free candle to sample?

I don't look wholesalers anymore but I do have a brochure that I give to people who request wholesale pricing, for the most part my stuff is half retail, which seems to be the standard. I put the price of everything, the minimums and any other rules in the brochure.

I hate it when I get something in the mail that looks interetsing and doesn't have the price. I can only trhink of one time I actually got on the phone and called a place to find out their pricing. jmo, but I would include pricing.

BizzyBs, I'm doing wholesale myself and was thinking about do the same thing. but didn't know what I should put together. If you don't mind sharing What do you put into the wholesale packets and your introduction letter, besides requesting a free sample of your candles

Well, I had to sit and think a lot about what exactly I wanted to say about my company and what it had to offer. I slowly came up with a decent introduction letter that I am now satisfied with. I really don't think I want to add it here...unless ya'll want to read my blabbering?? I can pm it to you, if you like?

BizzyB

I am thinking about wholesale.I did send some letters out little over a year ago but never called back. I laid it all out what I charge for my candles.This time I will call and have a brochure.Before just a sheet with prices and a letter.

Did my fundraiser this past week-end with my paw print logo(you designed) and tarts.Everywhere I went I heard people ask who did these and those who knew me would ask the Pres about my business. Some never knew I did candles and some knew but since I don't talk about it alot I think they thought I didn't stay with it.

I hope to get some repeat business.I went around the tables to see if anyone left theirs as if they did not care for them and not one tart package anywhere. They were all gone.Really made me feel good. You know how some will leave their favors and not take home.Well mine were out of there.

LynnS

Hi:

While I'm fairly new to candle making (only a couple years)... I was involved in sales for more than 15 years. My opinion with regard to your question would be NO. Pricing for your wholesale customers should be customized for each customer. Some things to consider would be: How much of your product will they purchase and how often? Are you offering any kind of special considerations for them, i.e. special labeling, delivery/shipping, unusual scents or supplies that aren't often, etc.? Are they paying in advance or will you maintain an account for them which would include billing, statements and follow-up? If you're billing after delivery, will you be paid net 30? Will this prospect be good for off-shoot business/referrals?

Often, your best selling point is to leave a sample or two with a business card and brochure. Leaving the sample gets their attention and gives you a reason to follow up with the potential customer... such as, to ask if they enjoyed the candle/scent, were they scents or containers not in the brochure that they would like to see offered? Giving out sample can be kind of expensive but I add the expense into my calculated costs as "Cost of Sales" which comes to pennies per candle.

Good luck and hopes for lots of success!

I've thought about this too with my clamshells, the reason being that most store managers do not go to craft shows on the weekends. I seriously thought about doing a cover letter, and enclosing a clamshell with each letter and just doing five or six mailouts a month. It's very hard to get anybody to try my candles because everybody wants to do something for nothing or consignment. Well I don't do consigment and I'm not taking pennies on the dollar for my candles. I got two wholesale accounts. But I'm wondering if I'm better off trying to push the clamshells over the candles as they are much cheaper and easier to produce. I have a very hard time finding jar in the winter without shipping them in.

I would be supplying the spinning display rack with 24 pegs that holds six clamshells per peg.

I would insist on being paid upon restock or delivery of the clamshells.

I haven't done it because I'm trying to figure out a good wholesale price and where the wholesaler would get the break in price depending on what they order.

List your prices...even if they don't order now, they'll keep it as a reference if they need to comparison shop...or if they just need to budget what the costs are.

I've done mailings & dropped off packets....the best way to get wholesale accounts for me is through road reps. I tie their commission into my wholesale prices, they have a small selection of candles & some some clamshells.

They stop at the stores every 6 weeks or so, take orders...send them to me. Viola

I know you've already made your decision, but I wanted to add that I think you did the right thing. As a store owner, I hate it when I receive literature that doesn't include pricing. That means I have to waste my time calling the company to find out what it is. Often, I don't even bother.

I think it's a matter of convenience for your customer to list your prices on the brochure. Not only that, but it also is a way to prevent you from spending all of your time answering calls or emails about your prices.

I know you've already made your decision, but I wanted to add that I think you did the right thing. As a store owner, I hate it when I receive literature that doesn't include pricing. That means I have to waste my time calling the company to find out what it is. Often, I don't even bother.

I think it's a matter of convenience for your customer to list your prices on the brochure. Not only that, but it also is a way to prevent you from spending all of your time answering calls or emails about your prices.

Thanks...I think you are right. Business owners would want to see the prices up front and not have to call...I would want the same thing, if I was in retail. :)

• 5 months later...

I like to actually drop it off. Have samples with you...so when you're out & about, you find a store...stop in, say hello & let them know its for the manager. If by chance they are there...they may just wish to see your product right away.

I also like to just give freebies if the store looks promising. If its a true fit, give them a free candle.