Layered Votives... Questions on Pour Temps...

Accidently posted this under the wrong forum *silly me*

Regular Votive Instructions can be found here : http://www.candletech.com/votives/

I'm interested on ideas for Layered Votives...

I'm thinking that maybe I can pour the first layer at 165 into pre heated Votive Molds *niffty heat gun*

Second Layer 180 while the first layer is still a bit warm

Top off layer at 190 after everything has cooled down?

Does this sound about right? Anyone have any suggestions, temp corrections, ideas for 3 layers in a votive? :confused:

You don't want to wait till a layer is cool before you pour.
When the wax has completely cooled, it will have shrunken a bit, leaving a sink hole that needs to be filled.

Layers should still be warm when you pour... however the very last pour, what I call the top off pour, the votive should have cooled down before you pour this. It gives it time for the wax to sink in and settle, the top off pour fills in the dip left by the cooling wax.

Layers should still be warm when you pour... however the very last pour, what I call the top off pour, the votive should have cooled down before you pour this. It gives it time for the wax to sink in and settle, the top off pour fills in the dip left by the cooling wax.

Is this a question?

test it and see if it works :)

Well here's how my test went:

Poured first layer at 165 into a pre heated mold

Poured Second Layer at 180 while first layer was still warm

Waited till cool and dip had formed and poured first layer around 190-195

The bottom layer isn't smooth.... it's pitted and looks like there were a million bubbles in the wax

Second layer has a few pits in it

Last Top off layer is smooth and creaming.

The layers blended together well. No jump lines and no seam lines between layers.

Am I correct in thinking the low temp of the first layer is what caused most of the pits? Would it work better if I did first layer at 170 Second at 180 and top off at 190-190?

You're correct about the first layer.

I have never seen 2 sets of votive making instructions that are alike. If those instructions were for making layered votives, they would be scattered even more widely across the map. So I encourage you to keep experimenting, but I'll offer a few thoughts...

Probably the minimum pour temp you'd want to use for a nice surface is 175 as per Alan's (message board owner's) instructions and you will find instructions that suggest as high as 190. Since you're layering, aim a little more toward the high end. Why not make it nice and simple and pour each layer at 185 and see what happens?

If that works out, you can also experiment with the amount of time between layers to control how much the colors meld.

Everyone has different experiences, but I find the pitting is usually from warming the mold too much beforehand. Keeping in mind that I don't make huge batches of votives at one.... if I want a smooth finish, I don't heat it before pouring, BUT... I do hit it with the heat gun after I pour (from the side so I don't blow wax out) just enough until I see the wax the solidified on the wick pin has melted. Then wiggle the pin a tad to release the air pocket underneath. Just my way ;)

I heat my molds before pouring. I use 6228. If I don't heat the molds, they get rustic looking with bubbles and jumplines. I heat them with the heat gun then pour.

I've always made layered votives but I don't worry so much about the pour temps. I pour the additional layers when the first layer is still kinda warm. For the next layer, I hit the top of the votive with the heat gun in a circular motion until the top gets "wet". Not melted and running, just melted and shiny. (Does that make sense?) This helps the next layer to adhere and warms the mold.

It's all expiramentation. What works for me may not work for you.

HTH