No throw

I've been pouring and testing my own stuff for a little while now. Neighbor came by last week and said the house smelled wonderful and kept asking if I had something baking in the oven. I told her it was a candle and she asked where I got it, I told her I made it, etc. Anyway, I asked if she'd be interested in testing for me and which scents she'd be interested in. She asked if it would be possible to find a Hawaiian Breeze dupe of the Glade plug-ins, and a coconut scent for her son. I said I'd try. JS came through and I was able to find the Hawaiian Breeze, and I decided on the Coconut Bubble.

Cut to yesterday. DH went over to help them with some phone issues, and she told him she wasn't getting any hot throw from either candle. She said she'd lit the coconut in her son's room with a shut door (DH chided her for that, as it was obviously burning unattended), but when she walked into the room she couldn't smell a thing. She said she couldn't smell the Hawaiian Breeze either, but I almost wonder if that's because she's got the plug-ins still going too, as that one had a pretty decent cold throw (ugh, that's why I haven't tested that one myself).

I'm using 4630 in 8 oz jelly jars. I added 1 oz FO to 10.8 oz melted wax (enough to fill two jelly jars) at about 150 and stir with a paint stirrer. I'm using HTP73 wicks. I've read that adding too much FO can actually have the opposite desired affect on throw, do you think this might be the case, that I'm using too much? I know 4630 can hold a good load of FO but I'm really not sure if I'm pushing it. The candles themselves look fine, no discoloration, etc.

Here are my thoughts: The first time you burn, it can take longer to get a FMP and as such, take longer to start throwing. Maybe it should cure longer too. Also, this wax does hold a lot of FO, so I don't necessarily see that being your problem. Finally, I used this wax and could never get a decent throw from it. There are people on here who love it, but it just didn't work for me.

I use this wax and most scents throw incredible for me. However, I briefly tested the coconut bubble and I didn't get any throw either. I set it aside and will burn it again to see if "curing" helps any. I know curing is a whole controversy itself, but I have noticed some scents do throw better if they've sat for awhile. I haven't tried the Hawaiian Breeze yet...

That works out to be almost 1.5 oz per lb of FO. It sounds rather high to me. Do you always use this much with other scents (the ones that work right)?

Yeah, that's about typical. (I really haven't worked with any larger sized bottles of FO as I've only been doing the 1 oz samples to get an idea of what I like.) The 4630 is supposed to be able to hold 6-10% so I've used that as a guideline. With the exception of a watermelon and a cherry I've gotten a decent hot throw otherwise. Is it a thing with fruity FOs, I wonder?

Thanks, all, for the advice. I'm so relieved to know I'm not the only one having an issue with the Coconut Bubble. Trish, I'm also wondering if curing might have an affect on it, so I've got a poured jar that I'll let sit for a while and go from there.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with Trish, in that every scent I've tried in the 4630 kicks butt!!! I've had a couple that were light, but they were light scents even OOB.

I would think after two hours burning in a closed room, she should be able to smell it, but she may have "fragrance nose" from her plug ins. ??????? LOL

Ya know just a little idea, get more than one tester, I have 5 people that test for me, which is great cause they also buy a ton from me after testing. What I am doing now to start testing throw at home, is just mixing wax and fo, small jars and putting them on the candle warmer, if the throw is good them I start making candles. It is so much cheaper to see if you are going to get a throw and the take it from there.

I'm with Trish, in that every scent I've tried in the 4630 kicks butt!!! I've had a couple that were light, but they were light scents even OOB.

I would think after two hours burning in a closed room, she should be able to smell it, but she may have "fragrance nose" from her plug ins. ??????? LOL

DH and I were outside working on the yard today and she obviously had some windows open because her air freshener/plug-ins was ALL we could smell. I think the fragrance nose idea is probably very likely!

I don't use that particular wax, but maybe there should be a cure time involved? I also think that you should be adding your FO at 180*. jmo;)

Do you think that would burn off too much of the FO, though? I'm paranoid about doing it *too* high but I should probably give it a shot and see. I'm definitely going to allow for some cure time from now on!

Do you think that would burn off too much of the FO' date=' though? I'm paranoid about doing it *too* high but I should probably give it a shot and see. I'm definitely going to allow for some cure time from now on![/quote']

Adding Fo at 180 will not burn off your scent. If you add at too low a temp, the Fo will not bind properly with the wax and you won't get a good throw. The FO needs the heat to bind properly. I don't add Fo below 175.

I haven't seen this mentioned, but they simply might need to place the candle in a different spot. I'm a huge believer in 'air currents'. Think about it, when a candle burns, the heat from the wick rises up until it catches a current, or hits the ceiling. Then it spreads across the ceiling or with the current of the air. I have a huge living room, & if I want to smell the candle in a certain part of the room, I have to place the burning candle on the opposite side of the room. Of course, air vents & ceiling fans will affect the throw direction also. You might think this is just weird, but I have noticed this over & over again. I test burn in a closed bathroom that is longer than it is wide. If I place it right inside the door, it takes forever for me to smell it. But if I place it at the back of the room, when I open the door--wow--there is my fragrance.

Just a thought

Pam R

I haven't seen this mentioned, but they simply might need to place the candle in a different spot. I'm a huge believer in 'air currents'. Think about it, when a candle burns, the heat from the wick rises up until it catches a current, or hits the ceiling. Then it spreads across the ceiling or with the current of the air. I have a huge living room, & if I want to smell the candle in a certain part of the room, I have to place the burning candle on the opposite side of the room. Of course, air vents & ceiling fans will affect the throw direction also. You might think this is just weird, but I have noticed this over & over again. I test burn in a closed bathroom that is longer than it is wide. If I place it right inside the door, it takes forever for me to smell it. But if I place it at the back of the room, when I open the door--wow--there is my fragrance.

Just a thought

Pam R

I agree with this, as I find when I place some candles in my bathroom no throw outside of the bathroom. Every other room I get a pretty decent throw. But the basement.....scents up the entire home.

I don't even use a thermometer anymore. ;) I used to when I first started, but could never remember at what temp I was supposed to do what, so I just stopped using one, and I get the same throw no matter what. ????

JMO though. ;)

Well, I finally had a chance to light up my own tester of Coconut Bubble this morning (been testing other scents and didn't want them competing), and I can safely say the "no throw" is definitely a problem on my neighbor's end. It's been burning for two hours and I can smell it everywhere except the rooms that have doors shut. It *is* a fairly light scent so I think it's being drowned out by her plug-in scent, and I'm sure her burning it in a closed-up room was part of the problem as well. I guess this means no more testers for the neighbor! :lipsrseal