Using food in soap-preservative need?

KMommy

I read a M&P recipe that stated if adding anything like butters(shea, mango...)or food there could be a problem with mold and that using additives requires the addition of a preservative. I've seen soaps posted on the gallery that have things such as yogurt and fruit purees. To those of you that use these in your soaps are you adding a preservative and if so what do you use?

While I have no clue on the M&P, I can help ya on the CP with the additives in it.

Additives in Cp are typically used at a rate of 5% or less, and blended superfine. If chunks are left, they will mold and/or turn rancid. No preservative is needed, as the lye monster takes care of it. In fact, most preservatives couldn't withstand the high temps of making soap, much less make it through the saponification process. At the usage rate suggested above, there's normally not enough extra stuff to spoil. That's where the testing comes in! Of all the funky soaps I made in the past month, I put a set in the closet in my room, and a set in the bathroom to see how they will look in 6 months, and again in a year. Then I'll make a choice as to if I might want to add them to my line of soaps for sale.

HTH!

what I used to make M&P I added, mango, shea, cocoa, beeswax, herbs, teas, roses, kelp, salt, ginger, lemon and orange rinds, and many other additives and never had anything go bad. I still a few of the soaps that have additives that are just fine. I would have to say that if you add chunks of food etc to M&P you would have a problem, maybe even pureed food. You could make a small batch of a couple bars and try some out or maybe Prairieannie or someone else who does M&P will add to this

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question? I have been searching and searching but have not been able to find the answer :confused:. I have some wonderful sounding m&p recipes that call for blueberries, mashed bananas, pumpkin, and other edibles that I am wanting to try. I would really hate to give soap out and have them grow mold. Yuck! LOL Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I do MP and when I add extra butters, oils, etc, I use a natural preservative like Vitamin E (which isn't really a preservative, but will give your soap a longer shelf life). I think you can also add Grapeseed Oil or Citric Acid as well...I have a book at home that lists some natural preservatives, so I will double check when I get home tonight.

Thanks candlebean! During a google search I found some sites said never to use fresh fruit/veggies and this on the FNWL site "Preservatives do not need to be added to your soap unless you are using milk, fruit or other fragile ingredients." but no mention of what the preservative is??? I really would appreciate it if you let me know what your book advises :grin2: . Thanks again!

I would put a preservative in because it is fresh, so the water content would be high. And there is no lye monster to help....

I would email Jen at Lotioncrafter and ask if Germaben II would be suitable. I am sure she would be able to help or suggest something else.

Thanks Katinka! I will definately take your advice and send Jen an email. Definately not something I would want to guess at and make somebody sick. You would think that with all the different recipes calling for so many types of fruits & milks that there would be some info that isn't so darn hard to find. Of course, I am probably just not looking in the right places! ;)