Master Batch

eugenia

Just tried this method. Measured my oils x 2 last night (all I had room for). Melted my hards, mixed with my soft. Mixed my lye for one batch.

This morning the oils were still liquid. Added my FO to the oils and soaped at room temp and I had none of the acceleration problems that have been plaguing me. I did cut back the palm to 5% but I'm convinced it was the temps. Lots of time to color, never got too thick and I am all ready for my next batch.

:laugh2: I am a happy soaper!

OK dont mean to sound dumb but.....you just melt all the oils and butters together for what size batch you are doing, and mix your lye the night before and then the next day you dont have to heat them when you start to make it....is this correct? If this is true then that might be pretty easy and I may try it. If not someone please correct me as I am still learning:D

Angie

Yes Angie, that's exactly it. You can make extra too. Let's say your batch is 2lbs. Triple the amounts when you measure and melt, mix it all up. Leave it alone. The next day weigh out 2 lbs. and you have more oils for the next 2 batches.

e

Not e, also not a silly question.

The temp of the lye and oils isn't what heats up the soap to gel stage, it is the chemical reactions taking place. If the oils and lye water are warm when you start, then the reaction can happen faster, but it should happen anyway. Ok, most of the time.

I've been doing this for over a year now, wouldn't go back to the old way for love or money!

My normal batch of soap is 3.5# oils, so I weigh out 35# into a 5 gallon stock pot, heat slowly until butters are melted, stick blend, weigh out 3.5# into plastic containers with lids. When I want to make soap I just grab a container off the shelf, microwave until melted.

I also use pre-mixed lye. I make it up by the gallon.

With this method I can make a batch of soap in 15 minute start to finish, including cleanup:D

Sounds like a great way to soap. Only thing to watch out for is to stir really well before you split, if you're waiting to split - oils like castor sink to the bottom and you won't get the mix of oils you think you're getting. I know E stirs but in case anyone else wants to try it...

Ok my brain is agog with this info. Help me out here would you? You mix all your oils in the appropriate quantities as you would for a smaller batch but in larger amounts. Ok I get that. Now help me out with the lye by the gallon thing. You do it the same way? So say your recipe calls for 12 ounces of lye and 24 ounces of water (or whatever) you just multiply that times 10 or whatever and you have ready made lye solution. Ok I get that part, I think. Correct me if I have it wrong.

The part I am not understanding is how you know how much lye solution to use for a batch. The oils, I get that. You want 3.5 pounds or whatever of oils. For the lye solution, do you just weigh it til the scale says whatever your normal lye plus water amount would be?

Ok my brain is agog with this info. Help me out here would you? You mix all your oils in the appropriate quantities as you would for a smaller batch but in larger amounts. Ok I get that. Now help me out with the lye by the gallon thing. You do it the same way? So say your recipe calls for 12 ounces of lye and 24 ounces of water (or whatever) you just multiply that times 10 or whatever and you have ready made lye solution. Ok I get that part, I think. Correct me if I have it wrong.

The part I am not understanding is how you know how much lye solution to use for a batch. The oils, I get that. You want 3.5 pounds or whatever of oils. For the lye solution, do you just weigh it til the scale says whatever your normal lye plus water amount would be?

Correct, if your recipe calls for 6 oz lye and 12 oz water, you use 18 oz of the pre-mix

Tip: When using cold lye solution most times you will get a false trace, keep mixing and as it heats up in will thin out and progress as usual.

I also add my fo to the oils before the lye