Using veggi shortening in CP....

maryann

I bought this in Walmart and wanted to make sure I'm using it in the calculator right! In practicing w/ the calc I discovered that the lye/water amounts change depending on the ingredients. I was changing ingredients and its oz but my overall recipe weight in oz I kept the same. So in discovering that, I wanted to make double sure what to call this shortening when entering it in the calc . The ingred on the label says verbatum: Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oils with Mono- and Diglycerides added. Do I enter it as Soybean Oil??

(having problems w/ pic, this is the best I could do) :embarasse :tongue2: [ATTACH]4917[/ATTACH]

Also curious for those that have used tea as the liquid you add the lye to, does it make the soap brown? I'm thinking of using KY's Red Tea FO (has anyone soaped this :D and have any tips??) and using tea as my liquid but I don't want the soap to be brown.

TIA :)

post-119-139458394285_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I can't help except to tell you that I made a soap the other day with chamomile tea. The tea was still kinda hot and when I added the lye I got a volcano. What a mess to clean up. That is the perfect reason that I don't let my son even come into the basement when I'm soaping.

Please make sure the tea is cooler and add the lye slowly.

I made chamomile, milk & honey soap. It did discolor a little but not bad. It is kind of medium tan color. That could have been a combo of all of the above though.

So it makes a hard bar even tho soybean oil is a soft oil?

I'm using a high % (27%, the high ingredient % in my recipe) and the calc shows the iodine to be 84. Am I right in thinking that since this is in a solid form of soybean the iodine % will be lower than 84. Hope that makes sense :undecided

So it makes a hard bar even tho soybean oil is a soft oil?

I'm using a high % (27%, the high ingredient % in my recipe) and the calc shows the iodine to be 84. Am I right in thinking that since this is in a solid form of soybean the iodine % will be lower than 84. Hope that makes sense :undecided

This is from a chart I use often.

(Vegetable) Shortening or Soybean Oil

Vegetable shortening is normally made out of soybean oil. It is cheap and readily available and produces a mild, stable lather. Use it in combination with other exotic or moisturizing oils. Use this as half of your fats to keep costs down. It is a good filler and makes a very hard white bar when used alone and when mixed with other oils it makes a wonderful hard bar of soap. Use vegetable shortening as a base oil or combine it with other, harder oils for better results. Recommend use as base up to 50% of total oils.

Hard Bar - YES

Lather - STABLE

Conditioning - MODERATE

Iodine - 90-95

HTH

Also I have soaped with raspberry tea and also ginger tea. Neither of them made my soap brown.

I use both liquid soybean oil and the veg shortening you have pictured. Granted not at the same time though. I use the soapcalc.com calculator and not the sage when I use veg shortening because they have both soybean liquid oil and veg shortening on their lists. I have used the veg shortening in many of my recipes and its great. HTH

PAm

I have always entered mine as corn oil, it is part of my basic recipe and never had any problems. Good Luck. As for the tea, you must have been reading my mind, I made a batch of lye with tea but now am afraid to use it because I wanted a light bar (Chamomile/lavender)

Please post with tea results if you decide to use it

Michelle, Jeana gave me MORE GREAT advise..... to use titanium dioxide to make a white bar (that way the tea won't effect the color). I think I'm going for it as soon as my lye arrives at my door step. I have three (batches) Fos/EOs w/ additives picked out to begin w/!!

My first is a castile w/ oatmeal added, no color.... I don't think that should be too hard -right :D Then an EO which from what I read works GREAT, no siezing, then the last is alittle more complicated. We'll see...

I GREAT BIG THANK YOU to all who have helped answer questions, give advise, and direction me to informative sites!!!! I REALLY do appreciate the help. :)