Undyed vs. dyed

dynamike

I have seen a couple sites that market the fact that they do not dye their candles for various reason. Besides the bottom line I can see a couple of "advantages". Do you guys think that not having colored candles would eventually hurt the bottom line even more than saving some money on dye in the first place?

Thanks

Mike

IMO It seems that most people prefer them colored, so I think having strickly ncolored candles would hinder sales. It doesn't cost much to color, so yes I think it'd hurt the bottom line in the long run. You could always offer them uncolored upon request. Plus not coloring makes it harder to tell the difference between scents for you. Also there'd be no way to be creative in your looks. To me that's the best part, is being creative. JMO

There is a market for "colorless" candles.

They wear very little make-up (light colored or glossed lips only!), have cotton and linen wardrobes, drive Volvos and wear Birkenstock shoes. For the most part they are well read, have high suicide rates, use unpainted baby cribs and do not wear perfume.They are wine drinkers, burn soy candles and belong to 3.5 civic and/or polictical organizations. They are dog owners and visit the same Starbucks daily.(Lets just say that by the time their coffee touches their lips, it has very little to do with a cup of coffee...it is lite-free-de'd to death) They belong to the largest churchs in their communities and all wear basic bob haircuts with highlights.They all have french manicures (no colored polish) and visit the spa once every two months.They have all had piano lessons at some point in their lives, and buy their groceries at Whole Foods.

Yep...there is a market...they ARE out there!

There is a definate market out there because all my container candles are not colored and sell rather well.:cool2:

There is a market for "colorless" candles.

They wear very little make-up (light colored or glossed lips only!), have cotton and linen wardrobes, drive Volvos and wear Birkenstock shoes. For the most part they are well read, have high suicide rates, use unpainted baby cribs and do not wear perfume.They are wine drinkers, burn soy candles and belong to 3.5 civic and/or polictical organizations. They are dog owners and visit the same Starbucks daily.(Lets just say that by the time their coffee touches their lips, it has very little to do with a cup of coffee...it is lite-free-de'd to death) They belong to the largest churchs in their communities and all wear basic bob haircuts with highlights.They all have french manicures (no colored polish) and visit the spa once every two months.They have all had piano lessons at some point in their lives, and buy their groceries at Whole Foods.

Yep...there is a market...they ARE out there!

Michael, sounds like you have two very different demographics there - on one side Seattle, on the other, Phoenix, LOL!

I also don't dye my candles. I charge the same amount as I would if they were dyed, so I don't undercut other chandlers who have mastered the art of coloring 100% soy, and I do very well with my look. Hasn't hurt my bottom line...people really like it, and it's something a little different than most other candles offered in the same $ range.

I struggled with the "to dye or not to dye" question for a long time, especially since I use soy and soy blends and experiencing the horrors of frosting and mottling. I dye mine, but I also keep a decent selection of noncolored. I've also found that orange is not a popular color and avoid it at all costs.

I prefer uncolored myself but am starting to dabble in coloring just because I need something else to play with :smiley2: .

I don't do uncolored because I'm cheap. Hardly! I love and prefer the nautral glow of the candle. But, I also prefer white Christmas lights vs colored Christmas lights. More Martha Stewarty. Classic, upscale, etc. Am I boring? I don't think so...but hey - my definition of exciting/not boring (sky diving, sailing, skiing, all things fairly adventurous) may not match your definition of exciting/not boring. And that's OK!

Jen

I color my candles and prefer color BUT may (on website) give a choice.Start out with color and might eventually add dyed or no dye. A CHOICE/PREFERENCE.

For lotion I use NO dyes.First year did dye but this year didn't.Like the "no dye" better for lotion.I can see someone trying to rub the pink lotion on their hands just to get it to blend in without looking like their hands were pinkish.

That's what market research is for ;) to find what markets are within your reach. Everyone's mileage will vary....

I can see a striking display - break all the rules. Black table cloth. White pillars all sizes. White tumblers. Throw a bunch of red silk flowers around. Dynamite.

But if that isn't your "look" or your market, it won't work.

I have a funny story about coloring candles. I made candles for a bridal shower the colors were black and white, they wanted them scented orange chiffon cake. So I made white orange chiffon cake candles with black lids. I used the same scent I always use just no orange dye. The following week I got 10 calls looking for the new vanilla orange cake candles. At first I did not know what these people were talking about. Then someone told me she received a candle as a shower favor. I told all these people its not a new scent just no color was added it is the same scent as the orange ones. Well they did not believe me so now I make 2 candles one orange called orange chiffon cake and the other one white call orange vanilla cake. They really believe they smell different. Just thought that was funny.

I never even thought of not coloring my candles....hmmm, one last thing for a newbie to think about....I LIKE IT!! :yay:

Of course, I would then have to figure out why my non-colored test candles start turning brownish as they get to the bottom, and end up with a pure white bottom and a pukey brown top....and the tiny specks of wick that fall into it....and.........nahhhhh, it's already too complicated....LOL

Back to my testers.....:D