What are these strange ingredients in this lipbalm?

fabulousfunfur

I have been asked to make a Hemp seed oil lipbalm, similar to a 'certain well known company' and I am not sure what these ingredients are!

Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Panthenol,

Clary (Salvia Sclarea) Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopherol.

Q. I've heard of Panthenol, but why do you need it in a lip balm and is it necessary?

Q. Can I omit the Candelilla wax and just use beeswax??

Please help! :highfive:

i think the panthenol will give it a slip or feel that won't occur w/o it - it won;t hurt to test a batch w/o, but i don't think it will feel the same unless you have something to sub, does that make sense?

youcan def use b/w for candellia, i think the rule of thumb is 2x the b/w as candellia is harder. it's a veggie wax in case you're marketing no animal products.

sorry for the horrid typing, sleeping toddler on my chest...i'm in heaven!

Here's some info on panthenol for you. I don't believe it would affect the feel of the balm but it may be helpful for chapped lips.

Commonly called "ProVitamin B5" or "Pantothenic Acid", panthenol is an additive no hair care product should be without. It's strengthening properties are well-known and widely used in professional hair care formulations. This white, free-flowing powder is water soluble and readily dissolves in cold or hot water. When used in skin care at rates of 1-2%, panthenol will effectively reduce irritation and reduce redness. Excellent for after-sun care or tanning lotions

hth

Julie

The retynil palmitate is an antioxident, vitamin A. Tocopheryl Acectate and tocopherol are two types of vitamin E. Clary is an essential oil. And in the hair and skin business panthenol is generally used to plump up. It helps retain moisture.

I have a hemp lip balm recipe if you would like it.

i'd just make your own recipe. it would probably come out better anyways. and candelilla is a veggie sub for beeswax, i don't have much info on how to use it yet, but will trying it out this spring, hopefully.

i usually follow this when starting a new recipe:

(from mms)

• An easy guide for creating your own lip balm recipes is this:
  • 20% Beeswax
  • 25% solid at room temperature oil (Coconut, Palm, Shea, etc)
  • 15% brittle at room temperature oil (cocoa butter, pko, etc)
  • 40% liquid oil at room temperature Sweet almond, olive, avocado, etc)