Ash ?

Scented

LOL Leslie!! I know you've told me many a time!

Some put a piece of plastic wrap right on top of the soap - like you would when you make pudding - but then you get the line marks from the plastic wrap.

OK well I put plastic wrap on it, but I kept adjusting it and that's probably why there's some small patches of white powdery stuff. I can't imagine it's the soap. Thanks so much :)

Ash is more of a problem when you are using a slab mold because it ruins the look of the front of your soap. I find that weather has a lot to do with whether or not I get ash. I soap in my garage and when it's really cold, I have a dickens of a time with ash - doesn't matter how well I cover it or how little I peek. If my soap has been ashing on me, I come prepared with a spray bottle full of rubbing alcohol. I start spraying right after the gel. After I spray, I let it dry then spray again. I keep doing that until I'm sure the ash isn't forming. It works like a charm. It will make the tops of your soap shiney, though.

its because most people dont cover their soap in a slab mold because it messes up the top. Especially if you put scrubbies just on the top of it. OR if they have an amazing beautiful swirl that you dont want to screw up. Thats why they can see the ash forming and put the alcohol on soap.

Pam

My slab mold has a lid. I put 3 layers of freezer paper on the lid and when I put the lid on the mold, it sits on top of the mold instead of inside the mold. I never get ash when I use the lid that way. I also do the same with my log mold. I really don't have a problem with ash and I soap in a cold basement. Right now it is barely 60*