How do I reheat my pour pot if using a Presto?

OK, I'm about to begin! I've finally got the right presto pot and I'm using a pyrex measuring cup as a pour pot. And it occured to me, when I need to do my second pour, how do I reheat the remaining mixed wax that is in the pyrex dish? Hints...clues...suggestions..anything! Thanks! :cool:

:eek: Don't put your pyrex directly on a burner! Use any large pan that your pyrex measuring cup will fit inside, add a couple inches of water, set your measuring cup inside and put on your stove on low or medium heat. I use an old pressure cooker and old stew pot. Someone posted recently that they had an electric griddle with a temp control that they set their metal pour pot on. Don't know if that would work with glass. Or you could set it in the oven on a cookie sheet. You might want to check out your local Goodwill Store. A good place to buy candle making stuff. They usually have old pots. Or try garage sales this week end. Good Luck

I too was one that didnt know how to re-heat my excess wax,,I kept using my heatgun but soon realized thats not a good idea. I did this yesterday. I pulled out an old aluminum skillet and put a few pebbles in between the pan and the pouring pot added water and put on medium heat and make sure you have your candy thermometer in the pyrex cup,,,< That is soooo important....Just wanted to share too :)

I started in the shed in the backyard, but I moved to the kitchen today. I realized that I need the kitchen atmosphere.

Also, the first batch seems to have come out alright. I didn't measure frangrance oil or dye, I just put it in there kind of quick for fear that the max would cool off too quickly before I could mix and stir eveything. The next batch I'll have to sit and measure things. What's a good tool to use to measure Frangrance oil? I heard u can't measure it by weight, u have to go by volume? Eek!

What's a good tool to use to measure Frangrance oil? I heard u can't measure it by weight, u have to go by volume? Eek!

It's the other way around. To be really accurate, you need to measure by weight.

Until you get a scale though, you can use a measuring spoon. (1 Tablespoon fragrance oil equals approximately 1/2 ounce.)

But I do have a scale! So measure the weight of the FO container, then subtract that to get the pure weight of the FO for accurate measuring? This is alot more math than I suspected.

As our esteemed Indescent pointed out, you might not have to do the math. A lot of scales will let you zero out the weight of the container and measure only the contents. Look for a button labeled Tare.

Oh...actually it was another thread where she pointed that out. Anyway, lookie for the button.

Here is the link to the Candlemaking Tips and FAQ.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

You would probably be better off spending some time reading through this section. It will answer a lot of the questions you have been asking. I've found it is a whole lot better to be prepared before making a candle. I have my dye at hand and FO measured out.

I use a turkey roaster. Because the water does boil from the bottom, I find that a trivet (sp?) is necessary to make sure the pot (esp if it's metal) doesn't tip over from the bubbling action. The turkey roaster is big enough to contain 4 lg pyrex measuring cups, which is what I use. This way, I can work on more than one candle @ a time.

Thought you might like to see a pix ... note: condesation (sp?) does form on the outside of the meausring cups as a result of the cooling steam. I've never had a problem w/ water vapor getting in the wax. I wipe dry the cups from time to time just to be on the safe side.

post-482-139458377106_thumb.jpg