What’s everyone’s fave soy/parasoy these days?

I’m embarking on a new project and am tasked with selecting a soy based wax for fragrance testing.  What’s the best of retail in your opinion these days? 

I am using Millenium from american soy organics.  Pretty good wax, I like it better than 464.   It is the most economical for me because its available on Amazon with free shipping.  

I just started playing around with Cargill C1. Testing Botanical Orchard and Nectar from Flaming. The cold and hot throw is really nice, but deciding on a blend. I am learning to accept the appearance, but want to also prepare for warmer months.

🤞All 3 I ordered just arrived. Hive and honey was super quick! Will make one of each unscented for baseline testing and hope for the best. 🤞

I ordered Titan waxes 5230, 5465, and 51004.  All are off white to ivory with the typical soy smell. They have a yellow tint in the melting pot.  I made a baseline unscented of each, and since I’m on a really tight timeline for a new project, I made a scented of each no color.  

All of the wax blends hold 8-10%, with some up to 12 which I would never need. I scented all with 8% of my standard Summer Fae fragrance. 

cooling them now in a cardboard box together to hopefully help combat the cold studio today. We shall see. 

• Like 1

Titan wax comparisons. Poured saturday night. 2 day cure so far. Poured in box and cooled closed top as my studio is cold. 

166E8027-1818-40BF-8428-A0773A1A60FB.jpeg

5230-typical soy pitting.
Very small cavities on the surface. 
Heat gun friendliness: 7/10. Keeps releasing tiny bubbles. 
Smells like soy. 

5465 -coco soy, not terrible. 
Heat gun friendliness: 8/10. Releasing some small bubbles. 
Smells like soy. Strongest fragrance cut so far. 

51104 - blend very smooth and no pitting. 
Heat gun friendliness 10/10. Smooth as glass and shiny. 
Very little soy smell. 

1 hour ago, franu61 said:

I just signed up for a sample of titan wax here:      https://calumet.com/request-a-sample/

I have tried the same several times, but never heard back 🫤. I bought from hive and honey since I needed to test it. Once the weather changes (from the perfect right now, to the hot/humid in a week or so) I’ll get on the phone with them.

please please please make one of these work.🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻 I hope your sample arrives and works well for you.  

which one will you be trying first?

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I have tried the same several times, but never heard back 🫤. I bought from hive and honey since I needed to test it. Once the weather changes (from the perfect right now, to the hot/humid in a week or so) I’ll get on the phone with them.

please please please make one of these work.🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻 I hope your sample arrives and works well for you.  

which one will you be trying first?

Well shoot!  Thought it was too easy.  IF they actually show up, I will try the 51104, really like the looks of it.  I suppose that one was the most expensive?

8 hours ago, franu61 said:

Well shoot!  Thought it was too easy.  IF they actually show up, I will try the 51104, really like the looks of it.  I suppose that one was the most expensive?

Breakdown of the per lb of what I bought based on slab weights:

5230-

12 lb @$35.50…$2.96 per lb.

$117 Per 48 lb case…$2.44 per lb

5465- 12 lb @$35.50…$2.96 per lb

$117 Per 48 lb case…$2.44 per lb

51104- 11 lb @$33…$3 per lb

110 per 48 lb case. $2.29 per lb 

I wonder if the 48 is a typo. Elsewhere I see it as 44 lb case.  

• Thanks 1

I won't mind paying a bit more for this wax (compared to C1) if it actually performs as described including shorter stir time, higher temp to add fragrance, and appearance of candle if adding dye.  5230 Titan

GoldieMN

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

I won't mind paying a bit more for this wax (compared to C1) if it actually performs as described including shorter stir time, higher temp to add fragrance, and appearance of candle if adding dye.  5230 Titan

GoldieMN

I’m going to light these very soon.  i read the recommended cure time on these waxes is 1-2 weeks. Having a hard time, but will hold til 1 week cuz we don’t have that kinda time! 

in the meantime I made a few melts with 5230. I have to admit, 5230 is not my favorite of the bunch.  I can’t see myself using it in my own line, but it is an option for customer projects when the customer insists on only soy. It is supposed to be successful in melts, so I gave it a go.  Will be interesting to see how they age.  Typical soy melts will frost not long after making if conditions are not perfect.  These smell fine, with the characteristic undertone of soy wax odor. 

coloring is typical of soy, achieving a pastel, matte appearance with candle dye.  Mica will be an option, but I added it after the dye on such a tiny test batch. I do not predict any shimmer with ice, nor with the fairy dust (synthetic fluorphlogopite).

I’ll give tea lights a go, along with votives since the customer expressed an interest in both along with full size candles.

2B831A47-49BC-420A-8671-A2EDA616314F.jpeg

• Like 1

Just got this e-mail from calumet about the sample I asked for:

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in our TitanWax Candle blends. To best help you, I would like to advise that our minimum purchase quantity to buy directly from Calumet is 4 pallets per order and a minimum of 40,000 lbs per year. If that meets your normal purchase patterns, we are happy to sell to you directly. If that is more than you normally purchase, we are also happy to refer you to one of our distributors. We have some terrific waxes and would love to work with you, one way or the other.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed, and we thank you for your time and consideration of our products.

Interesting...  all I wanted was a sample like they OFFERED.   I replied that I would like the sample and then will decide..     If they don't come thru with a sample, maybe I won't buy their baking powder anymore..lol!

Edited by franu61
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Zoiks, makes me wonder how much space hive and honey operates in. 

there aren’t many distributors that I have found, and none carry all of the waxes, let alone the 2 or 3 I have interest in.

So where did this Titan wax come from?  I've slowed WAY down so this forum is my only source of what's going on out there these days.

The only mention I could find here was a brief thread about it in Sept 2023.

3 hours ago, BenderSF said:

So where did this Titan wax come from?  I've slowed WAY down so this forum is my only source of what's going on out there these days.

The only mention I could find here was a brief thread about it in Sept 2023.

Seems sort of out of the blue, eh?  Couldn’t resist the stellar reviews, despite having been disappointed soooo many times in the past 🙃

I’m a bit concerned with future supply. So few retailers carry it. If one goes OOB, then I’m SOL. Again. But the universe says go for it, and go for it I shall. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

@TallTayl How did your Titan wax samples fair?  Throw?

GoldieMN

I did one test burn on the unscented and scented of each wax just before visiting the client.

CT was acceptable for all. The primarily soy smelled strongly of the soy wax. Both had slight issues with heat gun rework but were mostly acceptable.

i could pick up some HT after 3-4 days. All burned clean. All would benefit from a longer cure. 

I liked the blended 51104 the best, but it’s not a plain old soy that I need to test in for them. They chose the soy coco blend 5465. Have not received ANY feedback from the client after leaving the candles with them. Thanks for the reminder to call them!

• Like 1