Tarts sinking

Shay from SoIN

A lot depends on your wax blend.  Many will form really ugly grains or similar when reheated. You can surely give it a try and see. There's nothing to lose if the aesthetics of this set bothers you. The higher it is heated the more scent loss will occur. Sometimes you can heat it to just barely liquid and get away with the save. Sometimes not.

What I would do is make a new batch, and add some of these to the new batch. The sinking resembles issues in some of my waxes when poured too warm. WIthout knowing more it's hard to say.

• Like 1

What wax are you using? I've had waxes do that before or have ripples in it and if I add a small amount of container wax it will smooth it out and also like everyone else said pour a little cooler. I'd also do like TallTayl said and hit the top with a heat gun and see if that will melt it just enough to fill in the sink hole. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 9:11 PM, Belinda said:

What wax are you using? I've had waxes do that before or have ripples in it and if I add a small amount of container wax it will smooth it out and also like everyone else said pour a little cooler. I'd also do like TallTayl said and hit the top with a heat gun and see if that will melt it just enough to fill in the sink hole. 

We are using 50% soy and 50% paraffin from JoAnn's. I will try the container wax idea out.

You should get yourself a digital infrared thermometer. You can get them cheap everywhere. If you want to make good anything waxy it’s 8mportant to know the exact temp. Many waxes need to be poured at a temp plus or mins a couple degrees to pour just right. If you melted your wax and then just poured into clamshell without know the temp that’s goi g to be an issue for you for multiple reasons. Too hot, sinkholes in wax, too low possible graininess, too hot melt your plastic clamshell etc.

you want something like this…

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ProHT-Digital-No-Touch-Infrared-Thermometer-05145/314213680

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shay from SoIN said:

We are using 50% soy and 50% paraffin from JoAnn's. I will try the container wax idea out.

I'm not sure what paraffin Joann's has. Maybe try some 4625 from one of the candle supply stores? Or if you want a para/soy blend you can get tart waxes from several suppliers that's already mixed. Flaming, Virginia, WSP, all carry a para/soy tart wax that's granular and easy to use. It will ripple on you if it's poured too hot though but it's an easy fix. Like NightLight said, you defiantly need a thermometer.