OLIVE OIL has returned

Has anyone tried the new OLIVE OIL blends available now? Dulceria, Kandila, and Sunshine Candle Supply all have one. I and NOT impressed with the Dulceria version that I received, but they recently tweaked it. Using 8% fragrance, the ct/ht is very weak and they have boasted zero cure time with amazing ct/ht.  Both Dulceria and Kandila get theirs from AccuBlend, but I was told they aren't quite the same formula. Sunshine Candle Supply uses a different mfg. They sell this wax on their ETSY site. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m currently testing the one from Dulceria. It’s very odd. I poured 6 of them yesterday. All different scents, all the same vessel. I used cdn 6 wicks in 4 of them & small wooden wicks with boosters in the other two. 8% FO load.

I followed the directions to a t, & warned the vessels so that they would cool slowly, because I heard that the wax gets cracks in it if not cooled slowly. 

I tried burning one of the wooden wicked candles last night & it was concerning. It burned way too far down way too fast & huge crack in the wax while burning. I blew it out & the wick was smoking & the glowing still, so I had to put the lid on until it properly extinguished, but I believe that it was a fire hazard. Also, the wooden wick was all black & scorched, not just regular burned looking, like when used in other waxes, so that was concerning to me. 

I immediately lit one with the cdn wick, & that one also burned way too far down & a huge crack in the wax, & the flame was just way too large. I was afraid that it would get dangerous so I blew that one out. Again, it smoked a lot & I had to put the lid on it. 

I lit another cdn wicked one about two hours ago, it’s still burning & no issues so far, pretty good throw. Some tunneling, but I think that the wick is just too small. I’ll try to test more simply for testing purposes, but I certainly won’t be repurchasing.

i urge anyone who tries to this to definitely stay very close when testing & I really wouldn’t advise using a wooden wick with this wax, or at least be extremely careful if you do, I don’t sell, I do this for a hobby & gifts for friends & family & I would NEVER feel comfortable giving anyone a candle made from this wax, based on my experiences last night. 

So that’s my experience so far.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/18/2023 at 9:16 AM, PINKT said:

from AccuBlend

I have nothing positive to say about AccuBlend when they're marketing new waxes.  Formulas change and they deny it only to later recant and admit a change has occurred. Please do a marathon burn in a metal bucket--don't trust that they won't be making intermediate changes to the wax and be provided blatant misinformation.  You need to test EVERY new wax lot. I watched another maker almost learn the hard way.

• Like 3

I want to add that I ( out of curiosity & while standing right beside it, watching cautiously ) lit my other one with the wooden wick. The flame was perfect at first, but literally 3 minutes later, burned down so far that it completely extinguished the flame. So, in my experience, this wax is not wood wick friendly. 

I do understand though that wood wicks are inconsistent all on their own. But this wax is not impressive at all to me. I’m glad that I only purchased the 10 lbs. on a good note, it didn’t smoke like crazy like last night. There was also another largish ‘ crack ‘ underneath the wick this time, too. 

I noticed that the candles in this wax that give me these issues have those cracks in the wax when I start burning. Again, I did warm the vessels before pouring, & also insulated them, so they did cool slowly, which I heard is supposed to prevent the cracking of this wax, but it didn’t seem to do the trick for me. 

I’ve done this as a hobby / for gifts for about 15 years or so, & used many different waxes, from para soy to coconut apricot. I would say that even the waxes I don’t prefer have pros & cons. But this particular wax is frustrating to me.it looks creamy & beautiful after heat gunning the tops, but the burning of them has been horrendous, imo. 

Edited by WaxingPoetic

@WaxingPoetic I'm not impressed with the #43 Olive Oil wax from AccuBlend either.. it's very picky with scents - some throw, some don't .. it needs to be tweaked a lot.. I think it definitely needs more paraffin.. according to one of the wax makers at AccuBlend, this wax also contains coconut, soy and a small amount of paraffin.. and THERE'S NO WAY this is a no cure wax.. no vegetable wax is .. bad marketing imo

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KrisS said:

I have nothing positive to say about AccuBlend when they're marketing new waxes.  Formulas change and they deny it only to later recant and admit a change has occurred. Please do a marathon burn in a metal bucket--don't trust that they won't be making intermediate changes to the wax and be provided blatant misinformation.  You need to test EVERY new wax lot. I watched another maker almost learn the hard way.

I agree.. their waxes are not great imo  and they change too much because of where they source their raw materials..

2 hours ago, PINKT said:

@WaxingPoetic I'm not impressed with the #43 Olive Oil wax from AccuBlend either.. it's very picky with scents - some throw, some don't .. it needs to be tweaked a lot.. I think it definitely needs more paraffin.. according to one of the wax makers at AccuBlend, this wax also contains coconut, soy and a small amount of paraffin.. and THERE'S NO WAY this is a no cure wax.. no vegetable wax is .. bad marketing imo

Yeah, it would take a much larger amount of paraffin I think ! I believe that Dulceria has a no cure soy wax too, I was thinking that sounded odd also, because soy definitely needs cure time in my experience. But yeah, not impressed with the olive oil wax at all, either. It’s hands down the worst burning wax I’ve ever tried

• Like 1