Wick up or Down?

Tjwaversano

So I've been testing a coco 83 and vybar mixture with a 9% load which has had amazing punching power for the size ( ~2" diam and 3" height) of the candle but seems to get a low flame half way through the jar. I know this means a lack of fuel to the flame due to either low fuel delivery from a clogged wick or a lack of oxygen. The obvious thing to do (at least to me) would be to wick up, however, I am already getting full melt pool at ~20 mins and initial flame height is getting close to the "too high mark" at ~ 1.75" -2.00". Any thoughts? also, this candle is merely a test and our product line candles will be much larger so I know that plays a great role as well.

My gut is telling me the vybar is a big issue in the flat issue. coco83 does not need it. Vybar in any wax messes with the burn, especially if using even 1 grain too much,  it is like goopy glue. In base wax with absolutely no additives, 1/4 teaspoon per lb will often kill an otherwise ok burn. 

you didn’t mention the wick series you use.  CDN or premier 700 series seem to work best in that wax.  Small sizes like cdn3 or cdn4 in that size container should be more than enough for a lovely burn.

58 minutes ago, Tjwaversano said:

As always, appreciate the knowledge! 

Keep in mind, coco83 varies from lot to lot so your wicking and mine may be different. 

all of the recent coco83 seem to love blending with either a plain soy (I use Midwest soy as it is minimally or not at all blended with “enhancers”) or sp487. 

other palm waxes like 5301 or 5601 up to 25-30% also fix many of the inherent coco83 shortcomings. 

• Thumbs Up 1

CD9 HUGE. Ass TT says drop back and start testing with CDNs 3,4,5. Premiers 740- 750.

If you are going to test with larger jars for product line, you should test with those jars otherwise it’s going to be testing all over again

and depending on jar maybe even two wicks.

I didn’t love Coco83 by itself too problematic.

2 hours ago, NightLight said:

I didn’t love Coco83 by itself too problematic.

100% agree, but it is the best for blending with in my studio. It repairs crappy soy blends and is a good base or “chassis” to bolt on other waxes for a custom blend that performs the way we need it to in our chosen containers.  I like waxes I can adapt to the condition versus having to find containers that will play nice with my wax. 

I wish I knew someone with a mass spec to tell me what is in my all time favorite lot of it. alternatively, I wish I could have lunch with the original wax scientist who created it.  Remember back in the good old days when coco83 and the bead format smelled like old fryer oil? As I scoured the Accublend web site they were at the time collecting old restaurant grease for several programs.  I had a hunch coco83 benefitted from that same service. The price was so cheap at the time,  then when the world fell apart and restaurants closed during the panny, coco83 changed dramatically. Coincidence? Maybe. 

I know only one thing: coco83 has never been a fixed formula.  The most recent batches have something weird in it that changed how it performs.  I’d never before had to concern myself with sinkholes or shrinking.  It melts cloudy and smells strange.  

ok, two things I know: the success of the revolutionary coco83 led to this flooding of the market of anything with coco in the name.  It’s far too confusing to go through all of these new waxes when most have nothing special tied to a big price tag and empty promises.  I wish I knew the basis of my old version for certain.  I’ve come rather close blending my own, but never won the cigar.