My learning continues…

Kris10Tackles

Now that I feel like I have a good understanding of the soap making process, I’m in the mood to learn and experiment this year. Right now I’m playing with milk soaps. I started with coconut milk and loved it! A friend of mine has unlimited access to goat’s milk and so last weekend we tried our first batches. I’m still playing and using recipes from others to see what I like and how they differ.

B7B59C07-7360-4181-A58E-4EE6DCAB8F99.jpeg

9CF650E2-66AA-4879-A396-247336F7591F.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NightLight said:

I love adding coconut milk to soap. Makes nice lather. Are you adding sodium lactate? That makes a nice firm soap.

Adding a small amount of clay for color and feel is a good addition as well. A little goes a long way. Some of the reds are intense.

https://thenerdyfarmwife.com/brazilian-clay-soap/

Yes I am using sodium lactate. I also did use green clay in the coconut milk soap I made. I will add clay to my next batches of goat’s milk soap. 

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Milks are lovely in soap.  Oat milk is easy to make by soaking rolled oats in water until they release the gooey goodness, then squeeze out the water to use for the soap.

Ohhh, I will have to try this too.

Clay you don’t need much for impact.

Other tomato paste!

Good for texture calendula, parsley, ground oatmeal (a little goes a long way, make sure blend in coffee gizmo)

These don’t go all funky in cp soap.

A smidge of beeswax works super well for chalky tops.

Teas for the most part go brown in soap :(

wine and beer

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NightLight said:

Good for texture calendula, parsley, ground oatmeal (a little goes a long way, make sure blend in coffee gizmo)

These don’t go all funky in cp soap.

Infused calendula oil is on my list for this year. A friend of mine also has a ton of lemon verbena but I’m not sure how I can use that.

I love to top my soaps with calendula.  It doesn't go brown like lavender buds do. (Lavender buds on CP soap eventually resemble mouse turds.  😶)  Topping bars with a bit of oatmeal also looks nice and the oats don't turn weird.  I know additions to soap batter were being discussed, but toppings can make for some interesting visual texture. I like variety in the appearances of my soaps!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

I love to top my soaps with calendula.  It doesn't go brown like lavender buds do. (Lavender buds on CP soap eventually resemble mouse turds.  😶)  Topping bars with a bit of oatmeal also looks nice and the oats don't turn weird.  I know additions to soap batter were being discussed, but toppings can make for some interesting visual texture. I like variety in the appearances of my soaps!

I made the mistake once of putting lavender buds in jam I made (for sale). It tasted great but looked awful! 

I also think I’m the only person in the world who is turned off by botanicals and stuff on top of soap, lol. I like it in photos and think it’s gorgeous but I hate the feel using soap with stuff. I know I’m the odd ball! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kris10Tackles said:

I made the mistake once of putting lavender buds in jam I made (for sale). It tasted great but looked awful! 

I also think I’m the only person in the world who is turned off by botanicals and stuff on top of soap, lol. I like it in photos and think it’s gorgeous but I hate the feel using soap with stuff. I know I’m the odd ball! 

I’m with you! Those bits fall off and need to be cleaned up. They can feel weird when wet too.  

I can imagine the lavender buds in jam 😂. We’ve all been there! 

• Haha 1

For sure not alone! Love the look of botanicals but they feel gross and look almost creepy when they fall off in the sink 😅

I love coconut milk too! How are you using it? I have been adding a tablespoon of powdered to my warm oils but I want to try canned too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kris10Tackles said:

I froze it and used it in place of water. Don’t cringe, but it was I nspired by Holly’s Soapmaking on you tube.

I like Holly! I have watched most of her videos I think. Her voice is so soothing I just enjoy watching her channel.