Hello Everyone

Hal

Good Morning everyone, I've become interested in making some candles in my retirement.  I've made a few with decent results.  Now that I want to ramp up some more, I would like to increase the batch size.  With this in mind I would like to buy a wax melter.  I was thinking of purchasing a coffee urn.  Then I checked on a "Real" wax melter, and saw one for around $250, but with many negative reviews.  A coffee urn will cost about $100.  Any comments or advise would be appreciated.  If anyone has a functioning wax melter that they have outgrown, I would be happy to pay for shipping + your asking price.

Kind regards

Hal

Hello Hal and welcome to the forum!

I have not used a wax melter myself. I don't really have the room for one, well actually I'm overflowing with things like FO's and aroma bead supplies along with candle supplies so that's why I don't have the room for one LOL! I use a large presto pot and it works great for my needs but if you're wanting to go bigger then a wax melter would be the way to go I guess. I'm sure someone that has one will chime in. 

Hi Hal,

I used coffee urns from thrift stores for years for dipping candles for carving. Would have 4 or 5 inches of water with the melted wax on top. Works great, lots of unplugging and plugging back in to control the temperature. Finally had one start leaking a while back. 

maybe try with a thrift store one first and see if the spigot gets clogged or not.

6 hours ago, Hal said:

Need to make 5 batches of 12 8oz jars.

The large presto pot is perfect for this batch size.  I don’t use anything fancy (like those after market spouts).  A ladle, pour pot and spatula do the job just fine.

presto pots are responsive and far superior to double boiler types of heaters for many reasons.  

I second this. Presto pots are great even without spout. I would suggest you get one and then get a presto griddle to keep pot at temp in case it cools. There is a small one called Liddell Griddle and has same temp control as the presto pot. Press to pots are very handy as they have temp dial where as hot plates. Many have just warm, hot settings whatever that means.

You will need a good scale. I get my scales at Old Will Knotts. They have good pricing.

I like the presto pot wax melter, I purchased a large one that holds 18lbs of melted wax with the spout on etsy for 135$. For Christmas I made 150 8oz mason jars as staff gifts and the presto pot worked great, it heats up fast so everytime it was running low I filled it back up and the wax gets to temp pretty quick. I also have the digi boil its huge was 200$ and was a stupid purchase on my part. Im not making large enough batches of candles to ever need the capacity of the digi boil. Last year when I started making candles I was over heating my wax to compensate for the cool down that occurred when pouring, it was affecting my finished product. Nightlight suggested getting the little griddle and it has been a huge help.