Midwest Soy I hate to love you

I lit a candle last night that I gave up on early in the year. Scent filled two rooms and lingered. Relit this morning and scent quickly wafted. 

WHY must midwest soy take months to show itself? 
WHY must it take months to simply harden up?

both rhetorical questions, but always my frustrated outcry when I use midwest blends. 

the blend was a test using a vegetable oil thickener/emulsifier.  I was 100% sure it killed the throw in the earlier tests. Anyone familiar with midwest soy knows it is not all that great as a stand alone wax and is quite finicky to heat an pour without issues (graining, seeping, pooling, etc). Midwest is not all that great in blends when you need instant satisfaction either. It takes its sweet time to reveal its secrets. patience can be well rewarded, though.

• Like 1

Midwest waxes are supposed to be the same waxes that WERE enchanted lites.  Regular 100% soy and the millenium blend.   THOSE waxes were wonderful, especially millenium.  I don't recall having to wait even a week for a 2 room filling scent.   NOTHING is as good as it used to be  :(   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, franu61 said:

Midwest waxes are supposed to be the same waxes that WERE enchanted lites.  Regular 100% soy and the millenium blend.   THOSE waxes were wonderful, especially millenium.  I don't recall having to wait even a week for a 2 room filling scent.   NOTHING is as good as it used to be  :(   

Enchanted lites is what I remember too.  All good things come to an end. What would be the candle wax related version of “Valar Morghulis”? 

I’ve been using MW in various things for several years. Always sets up kind of soft, then after a few weeks it hardens well.  Same soft to hardening happens in blends of any% MW also. Reminds me of how concrete takes so long to “cure”. Once it’s cured watch out it’s so nice. Without the many typical commercial blend additives it burns so clean, too. 

5 hours ago, franu61 said:

I've been wanting to try the Millenium. Simply because I am a glutton for punishment. Sigh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Enchanted lites is what I remember too.  All good things come to an end. What would be the candle wax related version of “Valar Morghulis”? 

Never watched Game of Thrones, so I had no idea, thought you were talking about another wax.  LOL!  Then I googled the phrase  :) .   My take on the candle wax version would be "all wax manufacturers that keep changing the formulas, must die"  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 3 months later...

Are you guys talking about the American Soy Organics Midwest and millennium waxes? Back when I was trying to find a good wax and I didn't know much about candle wax suppliers, I gave American Soy Organics Freedom wax a try. It's what I'm using right now and I do like the wax very much. I am very new to candle making so I don't know if there are better soy waxes out there or if Freedom wax is actually considered not bad / pretty good.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AudraT said:

Are you guys talking about the American Soy Organics Midwest and millennium waxes? Back when I was trying to find a good wax and I didn't know much about candle wax suppliers, I gave American Soy Organics Freedom wax a try. It's what I'm using right now and I do like the wax very much. I am very new to candle making so I don't know if there are better soy waxes out there or if Freedom wax is actually considered not bad / pretty good.

Yep. Midwest soy is comparable to GB 415.  Millenium is comparable to GB464. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AudraT said:

Yup, it is a good wax.  It just used to be so much better  :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...