One-pour into status jar or tumbler

I use the J223 in a 8oz. status, and no matter how cool I pour, or how slow my cool down, I always need a repour. I like my tops nice and flat, and repouring has been the only way to achieve this. I even have to repour my 6oz. tins. At first I tried hitting the tops with a heat gun, but it left them looking nasty.

I use the J223 in a 8oz. status, and no matter how cool I pour, or how slow my cool down, I always need a repour. I like my tops nice and flat, and repouring has been the only way to achieve this. I even have to repour my 6oz. tins. At first I tried hitting the tops with a heat gun, but it left them looking nasty.
Do you find you need a 2nd pour in the status jars but not some other glass containers?

Do you find you need a 2nd pour in the status jars but not some other glass containers?

I use J223 and it seems that the larger jars (16oz; 20oz) I have a dip in the middle. The smaller ones have a flat top. I have tried hotter and cooler pouring temps and it makes no difference.

I'm using comfort blend in 16 oz mason jars. I pour at about 180 and always get a dip. 2nd pour takes care of it and I get a nice flat top. Maybe I should pour cooler like Grumpy Girl. Thanks for the tip - I was just going by the manufacturers recommendation.

I found out by accident a few years ago that a few grains of vybar can help even out the tops. I was using a preblend that suddenly started leaking fo's and got that little dip about the same time. I had just gotten a whole pallet of it and was ready to pull my hair out. I added extra vybar to stop the fo leaking and a side effect was smoother tops. Too much can have the opposite effect so be careful. Start with about 6-8 grains per pound. I've found this to work on just about every preblend out there but J223 may be a little harder to smooth the tops on. Also pouring in a jar that is much taller than it is wide increases dips as well as cooling too quickly. I always cool mine in the box.

It's not unheard of for a wax company to tweak our blends if the additives get too expensive...keeps us on our toes.

Easy solution. :smiley2:

You pour the candle higher than u want it to look like when its finished.

Then when it cools, you blast it with the heat gun. Very simple. DO not cut the wicks down until you use the heat gun on the candle.

Then u have straight, even tops. Nothing leaves my house with my label on it that is not completely flat! Not even a votive. That makes me crazy.

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm asking because I've been designing a one-pour blend to use in status jars and tumblers (straight sides, thick bottom) and wondering what level of performance I can realistically get. I can aim for a true one pour if it's practical, but if I'm gonna need a second pour regardless then maybe I can just design the blend for maximum adhesion instead.

If I'm reading this correctly, some blends don't pour flat in these containers but others pour flat as a pancake?

What I'm seeing so far (pouring without a wick) is a flat surface about 2/3 of the way across but a dimple in the middle.

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm asking because I've been designing a one-pour blend to use in status jars and tumblers (straight sides, thick bottom) and wondering what level of performance I can realistically get. I can aim for a true one pour if it's practical, but if I'm gonna need a second pour regardless then maybe I can just design the blend for maximum adhesion instead.

If I'm reading this correctly, some blends don't pour flat in these containers but others pour flat as a pancake?

What I'm seeing so far (pouring without a wick) is a flat surface about 2/3 of the way across but a dimple in the middle.

When I read your question, I figured it had to be more to it. ;)

Good luck. Personally, I would rather have a blend with good adhesion (very minimal wet spots) and have to do a repour

When I read your question, I figured it had to be more to it. ;)

Good luck. Personally, I would rather have a blend with good adhesion (very minimal wet spots) and have to do a repour

LOL, you have me figured out to that extent.

The low-shrink blend isn't hard. I already have one that looks good, adheres like a mofo, burns and throws well. I should just be satisfied, but I'm compelled to take it one more step. Maybe I can get it to pour flat and adhere well too.

For this version, veggie ingredients are against the rules.