Who do we like for FO duplication?

KrisS

A few of my favorite FOs were discontinued by a supplier a few years ago.  I have a few coveted ounces of those that were stored away in glass bottles in a dark cool place. I'm considering making the move from hobby to actually making again. What are your experiences with the various companies who provide duplication services? I'd been considering AFI, but it's my understanding that their MOQ associated with duplication services may be increasing.  Thoughts and experiences?

• 3 weeks later...

I called AFI last week. The lady told me it is still 10 pounds you would have to buy. Are you talking about Peaks? I have a lot of them and Candle Science originals too. If there are any you or anyone else might want to get duped please let me know. I even have Candle Science,  Mistletoe and Blue Spruce. 

Edited by ShelleyF
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShelleyF said:

I called AFI last week. The lady told me it is still 10 pounds you would have to buy. Are you talking about Peaks? I have a lot of them and Candle Science originals too. If there are any you or anyone else might want to get duped please let me know. I even have Candle Science,  Mistletoe and Blue Spruce. 

You're so sweet to share that with me. Thank you. Most of Peak's things are at Keystone, so I'm good there.  Although, Keystone is out of stock on what I want, so there is that issue.

I'm considering Daystar's Honey and Propolis. I know there are others out there, but I like *that* one.

I have the Peak that Keystone doesn't have like Lime  Cooler, Cornucopia, Cabernet Grapes and some others. I think Keystone doesn't restock it because ahe bought what was left. I heard several reasons on how she got Allen's fragrances. 

I never tried that scent but it sounds great. I love honey. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KrisS said:

You're so sweet to share that with me. Thank you. Most of Peak's things are at Keystone, so I'm good there.  Although, Keystone is out of stock on what I want, so there is that issue.

I'm considering Daystar's Honey and Propolis. I know there are others out there, but I like *that* one.

Will daystar special order a batch for you?that will be far less $$ than duping. At least you know it is the same, and will perform the same.

• Like 1

The labs I am familiar with need 25 lb - 50 lb mins to dupe. I like orchidia and Lebermuth personally.

pure fragrance oils has (had? Last time I called) a service that for $50 you could have several dupes made. They have several perfumers and can send the same fragrance to multiple so you can choose your favorite from the set of dupes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I have the Peak that Keystone doesn't have like Lime  Cooler, Cornucopia, Cabernet Grapes and some others. I think Keystone doesn't restock it because ahe bought what was left. I heard several reasons on how she got Allen's fragrances. 

I never tried that scent but it sounds great. I love honey. 

They've restocked the ones I've used several times.  You're right though--a lot of their fragrances have disappeared completely.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NightLight said:

Candle science Original Gardenia. Every other gardenia out there doesn’t come close. Hoarding my remaining bottle

IIRC, CS ships in plastic bottles.  You may want to transfer it to an amber glass bottle to help prevent FO from leeching into the bottles and the plastic to leeching into your FO.

16 hours ago, NightLight said:

Candle science Original Gardenia. Every other gardenia out there doesn’t come close. Hoarding my remaining bottle

I have that one too. I can't find anything close to it either. I am so upset with their clean scents. I won't use them. They need to bring our stuff back. I'm hoarding the Strawberry shortcake too.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I have that one too. I can't find anything close to it either. I am so upset with their clean scents. I won't use them. They need to bring our stuff back. I'm hoarding the Strawberry shortcake too.  

I feel like we're reaching the point that if we're doing this as a business instead of a hobby, it may be in our own best interests to narrow our product lines, duplicate it, and own the FO codes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KrisS said:

I feel like we're reaching the point that if we're doing this as a business instead of a hobby, it may be in our own best interests to narrow our product lines, duplicate it, and own the FO codes.

Exactly.  The duping process can be good, or at least close enough. We still need to brace ourselves for ingredient changes as supplies of aromachemicals can vary or be subbed without our knowledge to achieve the chemical profile of the fragrance.

Fragrance independence is an important thing to my business.  It’s not inexpensive, so culling the underperformers helps.

ethically, I don’t dupe anything that is already available. If the seller changes the formula, or discontinues it, then it becomes a candidate to dupe.it’s cheaper overall to buy a LOT of existing, known performers than it is to dupe and hope it works the same. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2022 at 9:31 AM, TallTayl said:

The labs I am familiar with need 25 lb - 50 lb mins to dupe. I like orchidia and Lebermuth personally.

pure fragrance oils has (had? Last time I called) a service that for $50 you could have several dupes made. They have several perfumers and can send the same fragrance to multiple so you can choose your favorite from the set of dupes. 

I just saw this and wanted to add that when I talked to Camilla about a month or so ago concerning the Moonworks fragrances being out of stock she said they do have a 10lb minimum for dupe orders but they usually try to work with you if you can only afford 5lb and they know it's something they can sell, they'll just sell the remainder you don't buy. It's possible to meet the minimum just gathering a couple of members here too. 

• Like 1