Max % of FO for Palm

What's the highest percentage of FO have you ever tried that was successful with no seepage after some time passed?

Ok...I make melts in paraffin and in Palm. I know the max percentage is 5 or 6%. I made some in 6 and some in 8. Well the oils I tested didn't make the cut with longevity, but there was one that my daughter and I both LOVED. So I decided to make a small batch just for us and try 10%. Then I had one of those "Hold my beer!" moments and decided just for my own curiosity to try 15%! Well 2 months later the melts are still sitting pretty with no sign of seepage whatsoever. Idk what to say. I'm floored!

It depends on the palm.  Each type is distilled from a different fraction of the palm fruit, and is processed slightly differently. It can be anywhere from 3%-6% with 5-6% being the norm.  Of course the FO itself plays a part depending on its additives and aromachemical recipe. 

with palm wax candles, most never need more than 3-5% to make a strongly scented, clean burning candle.  Using it as a melt is challenging as it’s not really designed for that use. 

3 hours ago, pcbrook said:

I make palm candles, not melts.  There was one FO I tried at 15% and there was seepage.  I cut down to 12% and that works.  It may be the paraffin in your melts that is helping with that. 

No paraffin. I make both separately. Just straight feather palm is what I was asking about. Just a curiosity over my lil experiment 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

It depends on the palm.  Each type is distilled from a different fraction of the palm fruit, and is processed slightly differently. It can be anywhere from 3%-6% with 5-6% being the norm.  Of course the FO itself plays a part depending on its additives and aromachemical recipe. 

with palm wax candles, most never need more than 3-5% to make a strongly scented, clean burning candle.  Using it as a melt is challenging as it’s not really designed for that use. 

Nah TT...I know what the recommendations are lol. I was asking people what was the most they ever tried successfully. Just a curiosity thing after my lil experiment. Slow down...stop skimming...and read. 🤣😂🤣

1 hour ago, LilFirecracker said:

Nah TT...I know what the recommendations are lol. I was asking people what was the most they ever tried successfully. Just a curiosity thing after my lil experiment. Slow down...stop skimming...and read. 🤣😂🤣

I wasn’t skimming. It really depends.  I could say I got it to hold 50% and someone would go off and do it thinking it is ok for all palm. Just because it seems stable in your home does not mean it stays that way with changes to ambient conditions. To better test, perform a series of  freeze/thaw tests.

I have received overscented palm products that were fine by the makers standards that arrived in my mailbox seeping fragrance all over my mail, and everyone else’s on that mail truck. The post office was NOT happy to have contaminated mail. 

like I wrote, every fraction of palm is different.  Every fraction handles changes to humidity and temp differently.  The way the product was made makes a difference. not many people understand how different the palm fractions perform. Feather palm is 5601-a palm wax for tapers and pillars.  It holds a different amount reliably than 5301-a for containers and very differently from 5801-a for pillars. 

3 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I wasn’t skimming. It really depends.  I could say I got it to hold 50% and someone would go off and do it thinking it is ok for all palm. Just because it seems stable in your home does not mean it stays that way with changes to ambient conditions. To better test, perform a series of  freeze/thaw tests.

I have received overscented palm products that were fine by the makers standards that arrived in my mailbox seeping fragrance all over my mail, and everyone else’s on that mail truck. The post office was NOT happy to have contaminated mail. 

like I wrote, every fraction of palm is different.  Every fraction handles changes to humidity and temp differently.  The way the product was made makes a difference. not many people understand how different the palm fractions perform. Feather palm is 5601-a palm wax for tapers and pillars.  It holds a different amount reliably than 5301-a for containers and very differently from 5801-a for pillars. 

Ok...it was just a silly experiment. I'm not crazy enough to really use that much. But I see what you're saying about giving others ideas. Please delete this thread for me. I definitely don't wanna do that!

No worries. Experimentation is good. Learning a new wax is fun. I always advocate breaking rules, then figuring out what the rule’s *intent* is. 

with palm the load limits were written long before all the changes to the fragrance components. Before the whole “phthalates bad” movement. And before the three separate lab fires overseas that toppled all of us for a long g while.

If we’ve all learned one lesson in the last volatile half decade it’s that the rules change based on market conditions. 

stability testing is super important for ALL products. How many of us have learned the hard way about soy wax in hot weather? Stability testing is a lesson all to itself. 

so push the envelope. Break the envelope. And have fun. Learn something. Share. Repeat. Sometimes it os our fails that teach the best lessons that help us survive the market upheavals. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, TallTayl said:

No worries. Experimentation is good. Learning a new wax is fun. I always advocate breaking rules, then figuring out what the rule’s *intent* is. 

with palm the load limits were written long before all the changes to the fragrance components. Before the whole “phthalates bad” movement. And before the three separate lab fires overseas that toppled all of us for a long g while.

If we’ve all learned one lesson in the last volatile half decade it’s that the rules change based on market conditions. 

stability testing is super important for ALL products. How many of us have learned the hard way about soy wax in hot weather? Stability testing is a lesson all to itself. 

so push the envelope. Break the envelope. And have fun. Learn something. Share. Repeat. Sometimes it os our fails that teach the best lessons that help us survive the market upheavals. 

That experiment was just for fun. But I am a hands-on type of woman and that's the easiest way I e always been able to learn. If you don't make mistakes, you can't learn how to correct them. I guess that goes for everything - including life itself. Even though I have experience, that was 20 years ago. It's a whole new world now, and I felt like I was starting all over again when I started again a year ago. Plus I'm going from candles to melts and it was still a whirlwind for me with the wax and FO's. I don't have the patience to throw in wick testing. For now...maybe later in the game. Just focusing on making the best melts I can. It's a huge bonus that I absolutely love and enjoy it! I'm in my element when I whip out my wax and oils. It relaxes me and takes me to my happy place - "The Zen Zone." Even with all the aggravations, I'm still very focused and just chill. 

• Like 1