OK, So i'm new to candlemaking!

Hi everyone, 

I'm new to this whole candle making thing, but wanted to set up a little side business making candles and selling them just for fun.  I've always wanted to start a business but never knew what to do, so i thought i would try out candlemaking.  Anyone been in a similar position to me with some tips of how to be successful?

I have chosen to go with small container candles to start with. I want to keep costs very low to start with so any advice on where to get materials (wicks/wax etc) would be useful!

Also, i am making this in my garage and dont happen to have a hob/stove in there.  Would it work if i bought a portable hob and melted the wax on there?

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated!

Or if thats a stupid idea let me know!😁😁

It’s a good idea, just adjust your time line to allow for plenty of learning curve.

Candles seem simple to make (melt wax, pour into a container with a wick). anyone can make a candle. It takes time to learn how to make a safe candle that burns and performs like people are willing to spend money on. 

we can all give you our candle formulas, but much like baking a cake it is more than the ingredients. Candle waxes and fragrances are finicky.

plus, Supply chains are unstable. Waxes vary from box to box of the same wax. Fragrances are reformulated without notice. Jars are sourced from different manufacturers around the world and vary ever so slightly in sizes and thicknesses. All of which make a candle burn entirely different. 

recently wicks we’re different because of a different yarn source at the manufacturer. T left a lot of pros scrambling to retest everything before being able to sell again. 

and, the big one, how time changes your candles. Burning a freshly made candle versus a cured one can be night and day. Testing in winter and a customer burning it in summer can be eye opening.

the only remedy is time to learn how everything works so you can quickly troubleshoot. 

do factor in for product liability insurance right from the get go. A candle is the most dangerous thing we can sell. 

so, pick a wax. Pick a jar. Pick 2-3 fragrances at most and start practicing.

Make candles in different sessions and compare them. surface imperfections? Sinkholes? Cracks? Did the wicks stay centered? Ambient temperature and humidity change how the candle comes together. Melting, pouring and cooling temps and rates change the candle. 

burn a few of them in the same batch “perfectly”, and a few like a typical customer will (burn one hour. Burn for 8 hours in a session. Trim wicks too short. Don’t trim wicks at all, etc) and compare. Burn some the day after making them. Burn some a month later. Compare. Burn some 6 months later. Compare. 

If you pick up the hobby craft quickly, and take excellent notes this can get to a profitable point in a decently short amount of time. Adding too many variables at once (more than one jar, more than one wax, too many fragrances, color, etc) the process will take exponentially longer. 

good luck!

• Like 5

It is true that it takes less investment capital to start a candle business compare to many other businesses, but that does not mean it is an easy business.  It takes years of experience, well preparation & perfect execution in order to succeed in any business, and candle business is no exception even though it look so simple.  No business owner is going to have fun when the business is not profitable, and you would need to know how to sell your candle to generate profits which is the hardest part of candle business.

First thing you need to check would be your city's regulations whether they are going to allow you to have a candle making business at your garage, and also check out business insurance rates.  Regulations are all different from a city to cities, county to counties & state to states.  So, don't rely on online people for this, and you must check with your own city or county departments.  Next step is to do marketing research and come up with marketing plan.  It would be better if you can write a business plan while you are doing that.  

You will need to take a look at electrical wax melters if you are thinking of making this into a business, but Presto 06006 will do for beginners. 

Good luck and have fun!  All the challenges will become fun when you are prepared well.

• Like 1

O

21 hours ago, BusyBee said:

It is true that it takes less investment capital to start a candle business compare to many other businesses, but that does not mean it is an easy business.  It takes years of experience, well preparation & perfect execution in order to succeed in any business, and candle business is no exception even though it look so simple.  No business owner is going to have fun when the business is not profitable, and you would need to know how to sell your candle to generate profits which is the hardest part of candle business.

First thing you need to check would be your city's regulations whether they are going to allow you to have a candle making business at your garage, and also check out business insurance rates.  Regulations are all different from a city to cities, county to counties & state to states.  So, don't rely on online people for this, and you must check with your own city or county departments.  Next step is to do marketing research and come up with marketing plan.  It would be better if you can write a business plan while you are doing that.  

You will need to take a look at electrical wax melters if you are thinking of making this into a business, but Presto 06006 will do for beginners. 

Good luck and have fun!  All the challenges will become fun when you are prepared well.

OK, what about melting the wax in the microwave?  Does that work to?  I've watched a few videos on it but not sure!

Kind of a pain to use a microwave as they don't heat evenly and usually you need to heat at a lower power in short bursts, just not worth the time or risk.  Get yourself a fryer to start out, they are inexpensive and you can set the temp and also ladle the wax out.

• Like 1

@Hadzol

It's not going to be easy to control temperature with microwave.

These are some of the choices.  There are many other choices, so shop around.

Presto 06006:  $26.88 at Amazon.  Can handle about 5lb wax.  This is great for beginners, and I still use them to make test candles.

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-Kitchen-Kettle-Multi-Cooker-Steamer/dp/B002JM202I/ref=asc_df_B002JM202I?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80814156492482&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584413735421765&psc=1

Same thing with pouring spout:  $89.95 at Amazon.  Same capacity.

https://www.amazon.com/Melter-Soy-Candle-Making-Paraffin/dp/B073R6CT7P/ref=asc_df_B073R6CT7P?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79920806880911&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520384046696&psc=1

Wax melters sold at The Wooden Wick Co.:  $139.95  19lb capacity.  

I only paid $300 for this used one but it was almost brand new condition.  Can handle more than 50lb.  Brand new would be $1,200.

20191012_195126.thumb.jpg.74c2a0217aea9d619492ae0d69e2e14c.jpg

On 9/7/2021 at 9:14 AM, TallTayl said:

It’s a good idea, just adjust your time line to allow for plenty of learning curve.

Candles seem simple to make (melt wax, pour into a container with a wick). anyone can make a candle. It takes time to learn how to make a safe candle that burns and performs like people are willing to spend money on. 

we can all give you our candle formulas, but much like baking a cake it is more than the ingredients. Candle waxes and fragrances are finicky.

plus, Supply chains are unstable. Waxes vary from box to box of the same wax. Fragrances are reformulated without notice. Jars are sourced from different manufacturers around the world and vary ever so slightly in sizes and thicknesses. All of which make a candle burn entirely different. 

recently wicks we’re different because of a different yarn source at the manufacturer. T left a lot of pros scrambling to retest everything before being able to sell again. 

and, the big one, how time changes your candles. Burning a freshly made candle versus a cured one can be night and day. Testing in winter and a customer burning it in summer can be eye opening.

the only remedy is time to learn how everything works so you can quickly troubleshoot. 

do factor in for product liability insurance right from the get go. A candle is the most dangerous thing we can sell. 

so, pick a wax. Pick a jar. Pick 2-3 fragrances at most and start practicing.

Make candles in different sessions and compare them. surface imperfections? Sinkholes? Cracks? Did the wicks stay centered? Ambient temperature and humidity change how the candle comes together. Melting, pouring and cooling temps and rates change the candle. 

burn a few of them in the same batch “perfectly”, and a few like a typical customer will (burn one hour. Burn for 8 hours in a session. Trim wicks too short. Don’t trim wicks at all, etc) and compare. Burn some the day after making them. Burn some a month later. Compare. Burn some 6 months later. Compare. 

If you pick up the hobby craft quickly, and take excellent notes this can get to a profitable point in a decently short amount of time. Adding too many variables at once (more than one jar, more than one wax, too many fragrances, color, etc) the process will take exponentially longer. 

good luck!

Can you please elaborate on the wick problems people have recently encountered (or post the forum link?) I searched for this but can’t find a topic that specifically discusses this. It might be what I am going through with my large multi-wick containers just not burning the way I expect them to. I am sort of starting from scratch on wicking after 10+ years making candles! I haven’t been on these boards in a while so I must have missed the fact there’s a yarn issue! 

19 minutes ago, candlesinflorida said:

Can you please elaborate on the wick problems people have recently encountered (or post the forum link?) I searched for this but can’t find a topic that specifically discusses this. It might be what I am going through with my large multi-wick containers just not burning the way I expect them to. I am sort of starting from scratch on wicking after 10+ years making candles! I haven’t been on these boards in a while so I must have missed the fact there’s a yarn issue! 

Many different discussions about how candles are burning too hot or too cold with the same wick series people have always used. I’m not sure which threads will be the most enlightening. 

hTp was the first to change.  It wasn’t until many people were struggling with wicks during the pandemic that the company announced the yard had changed due to supply. 

forum members have contacted me through Pm even about  square  braid. The spool of bleached square was suddenly directional! One candle in a joined taper pair would burn fine, the other would pool and drip.

basically, I learned through various shortages over the years to test every component.  
Spy waxes changed dramatically starting in 2016. started with soy, and moved through paraffin not long after. Coconut waxes got popular to people wanting to dump the soy problems and created new shortages and reformulations without notice.

Fragrances changed composition following three separate aromachemical factory fires overseas, plus retailers struggling to keep costs affordable…

yarn for wicks was just the most recent and unexpected hit. Wick tanners went out of business (precision). There was not a CD, ECO, square braid, etc to be found for several months last year. Desperation led people to less common wicks. It was a mess. And still is.

glass shortages made wholesalers and resellers turn to new and often dodgy factories to meet demand. The glass thicknesses and sometimes composition  changed.

basically every detail of candle making has changed since you left. It is like starting all over. At least you have the experience to know when things are working safely, or not.