Trouble with Lip Balm?

inny

Hello, I am trying to make a lip balm and this is my recipe:

20% Beeswax

25% Lanolin

15% Mango Butter

40% Almond Oil

I melt the concoction to 160 degrrres when I make it. Everytime I attempt to pour it it partially solidifies and there’s quite a bit left on my pouring cup. Plus, my container pouting tempreture limit is around 140 Degrees farenheit and if it’s this difficult to pour at this high of a temperature I’d imagine it would be even harder at lower ones. Any advice?

Even besides pouring it, I wanted to give all of my ingredients a good stir before I used them, but as soon as I put my utensil into the batch it hardens up…

Edited by inny

I keep my balm liquid by heating in flash bursts in the micro. I keep it hot enough to mix in lip flavor and sweetener and then pour into tubes. I make a pound of lip balm base then store in the fridge in an air tight container. When I want to make lip balms I only heat up 2 oz of balm at a time. This will give me enough to make 12 lip balms per flavor oil. If I do about 4 flavors I have 48 lip balms which will last me for a while.

Wanted to add, the absolute best formulary recipe I have found and use came from ITDF. Here it is:

20% beeswax (eg.; candellia, beeswax, cera bellina, carnauba)

25% solid oils (eg.; palm, babassu, coconut, shea)

15% brittle oils/butters (eg.; cocoa butter, capuacu, kokum, mango)

40% liquid oils (eg.; olive, almond, avocado, grapeseed)

This recipe is the bomb and really gives you a wonderful, soft, glideable, and moisturizing lip balm. Of course, the fats (butters and oils) you use will make a difference. Also, I split my 20% beeswax using 10% candellia wax and 10% cera bellina beeswax. The cera bellina is important when using grainy butters like shea or mango in your recipe. It helps keep the balm from going grainy.

• Like 2

that much lanolin combined with beeswax will make a salve that will always be a challenge to pour into plastic tubes with a 140*F pouring temp limit. 

to solve the holding temp issues with small batch products like lip balm, I began using these stainless steel creamers from WebsturantStore.com.  I sit them in simmering water to maintain temp.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/8-oz-stainless-steel-bell-creamer/407BELLCRM8.html

creamer.jpg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, barbaranj said:

Good info from both of you!  I was just getting ready to make my second attempt at  some lip balm and this really helps!  Thank you!

The little metal creamers heat gun well, too.  Far less uneven heating compared to microwaves!

• Like 1