Blending Fragrance Oils for Cosmetics?

peachbby

23 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Inspect the IFRA for each fragrance you plan to use.  Stay within limits and you should be ok. 

Oh!  Good point!!  I wasn't thinking of too much of any individual, my mind was on combination of many based on the question, but yes, that is an important concern.  Yet, not all suppliers give the percentages used of the specific aromas, so it seems that part might be a little tricky.

Check that the fragrance oil is skin safe. Stick to low percentage 2 percentage should be ample for lotions and creams.

Face creams should have a very low percentage .5 to 1 per cent depending on the fragrance. Obviously if it’s a strong one then decide on the percentage.

Not all fragrances can be used on skin.

IFRA will tell you what percentage up to for each kind of product, leave on or wash off.

1 hour ago, NightLight said:

Check that the fragrance oil is skin safe. Stick to low percentage 2 percentage should be ample for lotions and creams.

Face creams should have a very low percentage .5 to 1 per cent depending on the fragrance. Obviously if it’s a strong one then decide on the percentage.

Not all fragrances can be used on skin.

IFRA will tell you what percentage up to for each kind of product, leave on or wash off.

should I be concerned about there being too much of a specific aromatic compound in the product?

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Inspect the IFRA for each fragrance you plan to use.  Stay within limits and you should be ok. 

To be a bit more specific regarding my previous quote, should I be concerned about my there being too much of a specific aromatic compound in my fragrance blend?

Some fragrances are very strong, adjust your formula by percentage. If all your other fragrance usage is 2 per cent and you have very strong one then you would reduce to .50 or whatever you need. Obviously boy lotion is different from face. On face people like extremely light or none to rule out being irritating. Wash off you can make stronger because it doesn’t stay on skin. But you do have to check each fragrance, some are only for candles!

15 hours ago, peachbby said:

To be a bit more specific regarding my previous quote, should I be concerned about my there being too much of a specific aromatic compound in my fragrance blend?

Yes.  Simple example, eugenol is one aroma compound with an extremely low % usage rate for skin contact.  It is the aroma classically identified in cloves. There are many others.

category 5 is creams, lotions, etc. if using this oil, your limit is one half of one percent in the lotion you make.  One half of a gram in a 100 gram batch. 

you will not be able to combine another oil also containing that component to boost the fragrance in your product because the sum total will exceed the IFRA limits and potentially lead to skin irritation, breakouts, etc.

0A623858-0D95-47C1-90EC-D49F8F44845D.jpeg

842B85E6-00AD-4B36-A86D-8A771EEDF80E.jpeg

If blending oils, the entire % total of that compound is what matters.