CD vs HTP size?

From my notes, the burn rate (roc - oz. per hour) of HTP31 is .10 and a CD-2 is .13 ... a CD-4 is .17 -- an RRD-29 is .13, might be a closer match, although, of course, that's not all that matters, but I think it's usually a start anyway.

• Like 1

I made a couple of spreadsheets and sorted them by Yield and ROC.  The pic shown here is for CD, HTP, ECO and Premier and sorted by the yield.  The stats are from Wicks Unlimited and Wick It. 

Wick Data.JPG

Wick Data 2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 5/8/2021 at 3:43 PM, SRez said:

I made a couple of spreadsheets and sorted them by Yield and ROC.  The pic shown here is for CD, HTP, ECO and Premier and sorted by the yield.  The stats are from Wicks Unlimited and Wick It. 

This is awesome, I just love having data. It’s much better than my wick list, but it raises a couple of questions. The first one that comes to mind is do you know what wax was used? The second thing that comes to mind is why Yield and ROC? Obviously you are using this for something more complex than what I use my wick list for. Of course the only data I had was the size of the MP. The best thing is I can use this data to incorporate ECO wicks into my wick list, and for that I am very grateful.  

2 hours ago, Forrest said:

This is awesome, I just love having data. It’s much better than my wick list, but it raises a couple of questions. The first one that comes to mind is do you know what wax was used? The second thing that comes to mind is why Yield and ROC? Obviously you are using this for something more complex than what I use my wick list for. Of course the only data I had was the size of the MP. The best thing is I can use this data to incorporate ECO wicks into my wick list, and for that I am very grateful.  

Hey Forrest, 

As far as the wax being used, I believe on Wick It, it stated that the data was used with a 140 MP wax (whichever one that is) and the Premiers. 

For CD, HTP and ECO it didn't state... or I missed it... which is quite possible.     

I have printouts at home sorted seperately by Yield, ROC and melt pool also.  I just uploaded this particular one because I have been relying a bit more on the yield (heat) in what I'm doing.  But.. at the same time, trying to find a balance with the ROC.  

For example, I have a really good throw with 6006 with an HTP83 with the oil I'm using, however, the flame is pretty small... about a 1/2" after a couple of hours.... almost drowning.  Looks pretty weak. 

So what I have found is, if I use roughly the same size / heat (yield) wick with a bit more of consumption, it will not drown out, or become too big.  A balancing act so to speak.  So I opted for a CDN8.  It is working great so far.  I tested 2 of the same size containers in a row with the same results.  Burning for 3 to 4 hours per burn.  And I power burned this weekend as well... 12 hours straight on Saturday and 10 hours on Sunday. 

I was originally sold on the HTP83 but the small flame was slightly frustrating me.  With the CDN8, it's around 3/4" to 1" at times.  

I also have another spreadsheet with some other wicks to throw in the mix.  I'll post this week in the Wax & Wick test category if anyone is interested.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, SRez said:

Hey Forrest, 

As far as the wax being used, I believe on Wick It, it stated that the data was used with a 140 MP wax (whichever one that is) and the Premiers. 

For CD, HTP and ECO it didn't state... or I missed it... which is quite possible.     

I have printouts at home sorted seperately by Yield, ROC and melt pool also.  I just uploaded this particular one because I have been relying a bit more on the yield (heat) in what I'm doing.  But.. at the same time, trying to find a balance with the ROC.  

For example, I have a really good throw with 6006 with an HTP83 with the oil I'm using, however, the flame is pretty small... about a 1/2" after a couple of hours.... almost drowning.  Looks pretty weak. 

So what I have found is, if I use roughly the same size / heat (yield) wick with a bit more of consumption, it will not drown out, or become too big.  A balancing act so to speak.  So I opted for a CDN8.  It is working great so far.  I tested 2 of the same size containers in a row with the same results.  Burning for 3 to 4 hours per burn.  And I power burned this weekend as well... 12 hours straight on Saturday and 10 hours on Sunday. 

I was originally sold on the HTP83 but the small flame was slightly frustrating me.  With the CDN8, it's around 3/4" to 1" at times.  

I also have another spreadsheet with some other wicks to throw in the mix.  I'll post this week in the Wax & Wick test category if anyone is interested.

I would be very interested, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. This takes a lot of the guess work out of wicking. It will also give me wicking options where I already have a wick, and maybe better HT. This is all very exciting to me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 1:01 PM, SRez said:

Hey Forrest, 

Hiiii, I'm probably a litle late on this post but I'm really interested... Do you think you could send me somehow the spreadsheet? Im kinda struggling on how to wick my Libbey Status jar 12oz with a 6006 wax. Thank you in advance!

On 6/3/2021 at 2:41 PM, SRez said:

Sure thing.  It's pretty much what's shown above.  I can send via email if you like.  

Oh, if you can send me i would appreciate! Im really struggling to wick this jar. Thank you in advance!!! My mail is lais.camiloo@gmail.com