No hot throw, wax cracked

Good morning - I'm sure this topic has been discussed before but I'm having a few issues with my candles.  

I poured last night into a 7 oz container (5 oz of wax) using GW464 heated to 185, added Cupcake Fragrance (1 oz per pound of wax) at 135, stirred 2 minutes then poured.

The wax on top is cracked near the wick and bumpy, also there is absolutely no hot throw at all, although I did get a cold throw.  

Any ideas on what I did wrong or could be doing differently?  I'm new to the medium of candle pouring and this is frustrating to say the least.  Thank you! 

Edit to add:  I only poured about 14 hours ago - is that why there is no hot throw?  Not cured long enough? 

Edited by Little Bits Crafting

Soy without a doubt requires a cure to throw and burn as well as it can. Many people will debate cure affecting wick performance, only time and experience will reveal the answer.

WIthout knowing the wick you used, that can be a contributing factor once it is cured.

The bumpiness of soy is normal.  Learning to pour soy more smoothly will come with time and experience..

I think if the fragrance oil was added at 135dF, that's too low a temp for incorporating the f/o.  It could be that if it didn't blend well due to the lower temp that it simply sunk and it's over-saturated somewhere at the bottom the candle, meaning it could be a hazard and may be why the surface of the candle doesn't have scent ...??  Just guessing, but allowing the wax to cool before adding scent is not in my recipe book.  😍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, birdcharm said:

I think if the fragrance oil was added at 135dF, that's too low a temp for incorporating the f/o.  It could be that if it didn't blend well due to the lower temp that it simply sunk and it's over-saturated somewhere at the bottom the candle, meaning it could be a hazard and may be why the surface of the candle doesn't have scent ...??  Just guessing, but allowing the wax to cool before adding scent is not in my recipe book.  😍

Good catch! I didn’t even read past made 14 hours ago. 

Vanillas/vanillins  need some heat to not settle and blend well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Little Bits Crafting said:

Thanks, everyone.  I'm just going by a YouTube video I saw that said to add FO at 135.  I'll try to add it right after from now on. 

Any tips for a smoother pour?  Most turned out well.  Thanks again! 

Ah, yes, YouTube.... glad you stopped in here to gut check. 🤗

for smoother soy pours I generally stir the wax and FO down to cloudy  then pour.  It has a benefit to prevent dreaded cavities in all but gb444.

I use 464.  Mix FOs at around 175F(You have to stir really well.) and pour at around 135F.  Try not to place containers too close to each other when they are cooling.  Too slow or too fast cooling will cause some problem, but most will come out well if you pour around 135F.  However, you might want to consider doing 2nd pour(about 2mm) for your real production.  It is more work, but you are going to get mirror like finish all the time.  You can have a nice looking smooth top from 1st pour, but never like the mirror finish that 2nd pour can produce.