Wick Suggestions for this container?

1 hour ago, bfroberts said:

The Candle Science wick guide is accurate for 6006.  Use the type & size recommended for that diameter.  Cure for 2 weeks or your test results will not be accurate.

I've found ECO hasn't really been that great with the tests I've performed. I'll make a tester and keep it 2 weeks to test ECO again.

3 hours ago, SageSlowdive said:

I've found ECO hasn't really been that great with the tests I've performed. I'll make a tester and keep it 2 weeks to test ECO again.

A few things. 
It will burn very different w/o FO.  The wick recommendations CS offers are for scented wax, not unscented.  

Curing with 6006 is so crucial.  Nothing looks good in 6006 when it's freshly poured.  It's a viscous wax and it takes a couple of weeks for it to settle in and burn well.   
Not sure about your experience, but from what I see a lot of people tend to over-wick with Eco.  Eco's burn hot, so even over-wicking by a size or two can be ugly.  But but when it's right, it is on point.  Good luck.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bfroberts said:

A few things. 
It will burn very different w/o FO.  The wick recommendations CS offers are for scented wax, not unscented.  

Curing with 6006 is so crucial.  Nothing looks good in 6006 when it's freshly poured.  It's a viscous wax and it takes a couple of weeks for it to settle in and burn well.   
Not sure about your experience, but from what I see a lot of people tend to over-wick with Eco.  Eco's burn hot, so even over-wicking by a size or two can be ugly.  But but when it's right, it is on point.  Good luck.

Hi @bfroberts,

When you say "ECO's burn hot", how do you determine one wick is burning hotter than the other?  I just don't know what to look for when determining the hotter burning wick vs cooler one.  Is there way to measure or find this?

5 hours ago, BusyBee said:

Hi @bfroberts,

When you say "ECO's burn hot", how do you determine one wick is burning hotter than the other?  I just don't know what to look for when determining the hotter burning wick vs cooler one.  Is there way to measure or find this?

An Eco wick will have a larger flame and larger pool diameter than most other wick types with the same rate of consumption.  Whether or not "hotter" is truly the correct terminology is something I've never considered.  That's just how it's commonly referred. 

5 hours ago, bfroberts said:

An Eco wick will have a larger flame and larger pool diameter than most other wick types with the same rate of consumption.  Whether or not "hotter" is truly the correct terminology is something I've never considered.  That's just how it's commonly referred. 

Thank you for providing your definition of hotter burning wick!  I guess we all have different way of looking at things.  I thought I was missing something because I thought ECO was cooler burning wick even though its flame is taller and melt pool is wider than most others. 

3 hours ago, BusyBee said:

Thank you for providing your definition of hotter burning wick!  I guess we all have different way of looking at things.  I thought I was missing something because I thought ECO was cooler burning wick even though its flame is taller and melt pool is wider than most others. 

Eco's are a cotton wick woven with paper filament, so obviously hotter than certain other types, because cotton burns hotter than paper.  I'd say they truly are among the hotter burning wicks although I have no idea how the average person would test that.  Either way, definitely not a cooler wick.

Ok guys, I'm at my wit's end with ECO. My candle has been curing for 2 weeks, I start testing ECO recommended sizes in it and the flame is incredibly high, the smoke is unreal, and there is zero hot throw. I used the recommended dye drops and 8% FO load. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

I more or less have had the same issue with ECO.  Burns well for the first couple of hours with a 3/4" to 1" flame with a little bit of poofs of soot here and there but nothing constant.  Then after the 3 or 4 hour mark it starts to poof even more.  Also had the issue with some scents where there's not much of a HT.  I am using 6% and 7%.  

With that being said, I have a better outcome with HTP, CDN and Premier.  Not as hot to the jar or sooty and give a really good throw.

I've tested my 6006, cured for 2 weeks minimum and also for much longer than 3 or 4 months.  

My testers are 3" diameter status jars / tumblers and 12 oz canning jars which are close to 2 3/4" diameter.

The HTP's actually trim pretty well for the size I'm using.  Flames are a tad small after a couple hours in the canning jar.... between 1/2" and 3/4".  But throws really well.  

It also all depends on the oil / scent that's being used.  Then there's that... So.... yeah.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SRez said:

I more or less have had the same issue with ECO.  Burns well for the first couple of hours with a 3/4" to 1" flame with a little bit of poofs of soot here and there but nothing constant.  Then after the 3 or 4 hour mark it starts to poof even more.  Also had the issue with some scents where there's not much of a HT.  I am using 6% and 7%.  

With that being said, I have a better outcome with HTP, CDN and Premier.  Not as hot to the jar or sooty and give a really good throw.

I've tested my 6006, cured for 2 weeks minimum and also for much longer than 3 or 4 months.  

My testers are 3" diameter status jars / tumblers and 12 oz canning jars which are close to 2 3/4" diameter.

The HTP's actually trim pretty well for the size I'm using.  Flames are a tad small after a couple hours in the canning jar.... between 1/2" and 3/4".  But throws really well.  

It also all depends on the oil / scent that's being used.  Then there's that... So.... yeah.

I chose 6006 for lots of reasons, because it was supposedly easy to wick and had a great hot throw. Learning this is much harder lol.

4 hours ago, SageSlowdive said:

I chose 6006 for lots of reasons, because it was supposedly easy to wick and had a great hot throw. Learning this is much harder lol.

I hear ya. Try another small batch, if you have more, with 6% or 7%.  You might find it to soot less.

Also, the added dye will/may play a part with the wicking. I haven't dyed mine yet... But I can only assume once / IF I do, that will possibly alter the results I had.  Or rather, I wouldn't be surprised if it did change the prior results. I think it would be like adding another type of fuel to the fire. 

Have you tried double wicking....maybe Eco 1 or 2, or zinc 36z, or CD 4, etc.  That jar is kind of on the line between what a single wick can handle and what would need doubles.   Depending on the FO, dye, etc, doubles may be the best way to go. 

16 hours ago, bfroberts said:

Have you tried double wicking....maybe Eco 1 or 2, or zinc 36z, or CD 4, etc.  That jar is kind of on the line between what a single wick can handle and what would need doubles.   Depending on the FO, dye, etc, doubles may be the best way to go. 

Just a curious question: have you worked with 6006 before? Do you think the dye plays a large part in having to wickup?

7 hours ago, SageSlowdive said:

Just a curious question: have you worked with 6006 before? Do you think the dye plays a large part in having to wickup?

Yes I have.  I don't have any problems w/dye requiring a larger wick, but I only use a couple of drops per pound.  If you are using a lot, it could be a factor.  I'm not sure about dye chips. I don't use those. FO & cure time is always the biggest factor for me.

10 hours ago, bfroberts said:

Yes I have.  I don't have any problems w/dye requiring a larger wick, but I only use a couple of drops per pound.  If you are using a lot, it could be a factor.  I'm not sure about dye chips. I don't use those. FO & cure time is always the biggest factor for me.

Thank you! I've read that using too much dye can actually cause problems, I've played around with a few different brands of dye to see which ones hold true to color. Found alot of the time I have to mix in a darker color for a darker shade.

Ok guys, I've double wicked my jar with two ECO-2 wicks. First day burn is good, no smoking, wax melting across, jar staying at a low temp - however there is virtually no hot throw. I'm still using 6006 with 8% FO. I left about an inch of room at the top for some air current.  Does anyone have any suggestions on double wicking this jar?

16oz Flint Jar

3 3/4" Tall x 3 1/2" Diameter

I have most wick series to test with including zinc, CD, and premier.

Thank you all for the help troubleshooting this.

On 4/20/2021 at 5:39 PM, bfroberts said:

Eco's are a cotton wick woven with paper filament, so obviously hotter than certain other types, because cotton burns hotter than paper.  I'd say they truly are among the hotter burning wicks although I have no idea how the average person would test that.  Either way, definitely not a cooler wick.

Very new to this but I have been testing with Eco's according to Candle Science in 6006 and it has been a major smoke fest. I have now subtracted all the color to see if I get better results. 

46 minutes ago, LisaMG said:

Very new to this but I have been testing with Eco's according to Candle Science in 6006 and it has been a major smoke fest. I have now subtracted all the color to see if I get better results. 

IDK, they work great for me and several other makers I communicate with.  There are just so many variables to consider....FO load, dye, cure time, etc. I use 6% FO, small amount of dye and cure 2 weeks.  
 Also, if you are using diameter measurements, measure the jar at the smallest diameter. For example, a mason jar...measure the jar opening, rather than the widest part of the jar.  The neck makes a big difference.  If you can't make it work, try another wick type.  Most types work reasonably well in 6006 once you land on the correct sizes....CD, LX, HTP, zinc, etc.

I have been using straight jars and patiently letting it cool first for one week, but now this new bunch for two weeks with the dye subtracted. (I like a lot of color but will delete that variable for now) I have been using 8% across the board, but can drop that down. Would you say that 6& is better for 6006? I was actually looking to see if there are rough guidelines for types of scents (for starting points) Since December I have only made two candles that I am happy (in a different jar, and both are not dyed) This can get extremely frustrating. 

4 hours ago, bfroberts said:

IDK, they work great for me and several other makers I communicate with.  There are just so many variables to consider....FO load, dye, cure time, etc. I use 6% FO, small amount of dye and cure 2 weeks.  
 Also, if you are using diameter measurements, measure the jar at the smallest diameter. For example, a mason jar...measure the jar opening, rather than the widest part of the jar.  The neck makes a big difference.  If you can't make it work, try another wick type.  Most types work reasonably well in 6006 once you land on the correct sizes....CD, LX, HTP, zinc, etc.

Have you ever experienced excessive smoke with ECO? I've followed all those directions (including cure time)  and still get smoke with almost all ECOs. I'm burning one now with 2 ECO2 wicks, started yesterday and did great - today I'm burning and it's smoking like crazy.

5 minutes ago, SageSlowdive said:

Have you ever experienced excessive smoke with ECO? I've followed all those directions (including cure time)  and still get smoke with almost all ECOs. I'm burning one now with 2 ECO2 wicks, started yesterday and did great - today I'm burning and it's smoking like crazy.

No, never. Unless it's just too big and then I see wisps of smoke coming off the wick almost immediately.  If that's the case, I just snuff it out and wick down.  Try Eco 1. 

17 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

No, never. Unless it's just too big and then I see wisps of smoke coming off the wick almost immediately.  If that's the case, I just snuff it out and wick down.  Try Eco 1. 

Thank you! I will give it a try.