Tapering a Wooden Wick to Avoid Over Wicking as the Candle Burns Down

jpcandlemaking

Hi everyone, I have a crazy idea to avoid over wicking a vessel. Please let me know if you think this would work. I want to try cutting some of the wooden wick off to make it have a shorter width as the the candle burns down. I'd leave the top width as it is, and trim more wood off the closer it gets to the bottom of the jar. This would be done before setting the wicks and pouring the wax. It does yield some waste, but it would be worth it to have the perfect melt pool at the top and to have the wick burn cooler as the vessel holds in more heat as the wax level decreases. The burn would be more consistent and the candle would last longer.

Do other candle makers do this, or did I invent this idea? It's too bad it can't be accomplished with cotton wicks...

• Thumbs Up 2

I have tried that, and it works.  It also provide steady flame (less dancing flame) at the bottom of the jar when the wick is tapered.  Below is what I have found out so far using special wick other than wooden wick.

Picture100.thumb.png.c9681d5a941a6650dc10bbfb0d90e228.png

Wooden wicks are unreliable and out of control.  I am using this, and I should be able to tell everyone about it by the time when this pandemic is over.

20201130_121423.thumb.jpg.db057b8dc53b59a818462d6bb7e73fec.jpg

These pictures show one in action.  

20210129_182559.thumb.jpg.8acaf6f9ad8bf60f2ef2c848b93ed168.jpg20201024_213848.thumb.jpg.7a4c63a5749d731ac0078ec5098d6467.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1