Wait, what?

Kerven

Here's an interesting video I found while following another YT rabbit hole. Could someone explain to me what is going on here ? I'm all sorts of baffled by this. Couldn't even finish the vid before I had to run here to ask.

I was, due to the many, many warnings in just about every guide and book about soapmaking, under the impression that lye granules could cause severe burns. A lye solution was much more dangerous. That's why I've been reluctant to try soaping.

If that's not the case, and a little splash on the hand or arm isn't an omg-skin-is-going-to-melt-off-or-be-horribly-scarred moment, I might be more willing to give it a go.

Is his solution weaker than what most soapers use?

That looks more like KOH ( potassium hydroxide) given how slowly it dissolved.

correct, you can get some on you in the dry form and it won’t instantly cause harm.  It does start to itch like mad, though, since the humidity on your skin starts to dissolve it and turn your skin to soap. A thorough wash off in plain water dilutes quickly enough.

NaOH is similar in behavior. 

both get really hot as they dissolve, so while you “can” stick your finger in there, I’d wait until it cools to under 100.  My solutions get to 220*F at a minimum, so a temp burn in addition to a chemical burn are possible.

never get it into broken skin because that hurts really, really bad. Never get it into your eyes, nose or mouth. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kerven said:

That's a relief. Thanks!

Is there a benefit to using chilled water or ice cubes?

Negligible. NaOH creates heat as it dissolves. In cases where I don’t want liquid, like milk, to scorch I will freeze it, but it still gets pretty hot.

soap is fun.  You will love it. 

• Like 1

I remember when I soaped my first batch. The soap got so hot in the wooden mold as it started to gel...that I ran to get a fire extinguisher out of the garage.

I can still see the look on my husband's face as I ran past him with it in my arms. :laugh2:

Don't let the lye scare you. Once you get your first batch done you will see that it isn't so bad. Just be careful and make sure you have everything you need near by. I've gotten a few droplets of it on my arms before and rinsed it right away and it didn't leave any burns or marks. It just itched for a while after.

• Haha 2

And don’t follow those videos where they mix lye outside then carry it inside.  Just work in you sink and don’t breathe the vapors as it starts to dissolve.

basically, treat the lye as you would a vat of deep frying grease. Easy peasy lemon squeezie. Soap making becomes addicting quickly. The best thing: even the worst made soap won’t burn your house down 🤣

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/26/2021 at 7:33 AM, TallTayl said:

And don’t follow those videos where they mix lye outside then carry it inside.  Just work in you sink and don’t breathe the vapors as it starts to dissolve.

basically, treat the lye as you would a vat of deep frying grease. Easy peasy lemon squeezie. Soap making becomes addicting quickly. The best thing: even the worst made soap won’t burn your house down 🤣

I remember when I first started, I was so scared of the lye!  I mixed it outside the first couple of times, and then realized it was silly.

• Like 1

I would be so careful with some videos.  I have seen a lot of bad advice on them. 

One time on a particular soap video I had a discussion with someone who said wearing googles and gloves was stupid.  I told her that it was one of those things, that you think will never happen to you.  Anyone can have an accident, is always better to take precautions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Soaps by SunRise said:

I would be so careful with some videos.  I have seen a lot of bad advice on them. 

One time on a particular soap video I had a discussion with someone who said wearing googles and gloves was stupid.  I told her that it was one of those things, that you think will never happen to you.  Anyone can have an accident, is always better to take precautions.

So, so true. 

in my past corporate life I worked closely with the Human Factors department. Quickly learned that every accident is preventable and that usually the root cause of accidents is simple human error. 

it seems silly to me to risk my one and only set of eyes to a batch of soap. Even reading glasses are better than nothing.  

• Thumbs Up 1