M&P soap that clogs the tub

candleshiba

Hi folks! I was wondering if anyone could shed light into why certain soaps clog the tub?

A few years ago I was gifted a lavender handmade soap that was so wonderful that I tried to recreate it. I purchased some M&P base from bulk apothecary (honestly can't remember which one), and added some lavender into it. I think I let it cure for a week or 2, but I noticed that after using the soap, my tub was slowly getting more and more clogged. After that experience I sort of ran away from soap making.

I'd like to pick it back up again and stick with M&P because I'm a total newbie, but was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction? The amazing lavender soap that i was gifted had none of those clogging properties!

I see they carry both the SFIC and the Stephenson bases. And yes it matters which base you use as not all bases are the same or have the same ingredients. Also, with M&P you don't need to wait for it to cure. The base is ready made soap so all you have to do is melt it, add scent, pour into a mold, let it harden, and its ready to use.

You did not say what kind of soap you were gifted. Was it M&P or CP, HP? Again, it really depends on the ingredients in the soap but each method is different. CP/HP soaps are made from scratch while m&P are ready made soap bases.

• Like 1

@Candybee Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, it was so long ago that I don't remember much of the details except for the "wow" moment when I used the soap! Curious from your experience though, what's the biggest difference between M&P vs CP soaps? I'd like to stick with M&P if I can help it since it seems much more "simple" than other methods! Would you have a recommendation for a good beginners base to start with?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, candleshiba said:

@Candybee Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, it was so long ago that I don't remember much of the details except for the "wow" moment when I used the soap! Curious from your experience though, what's the biggest difference between M&P vs CP soaps? I'd like to stick with M&P if I can help it since it seems much more "simple" than other methods! Would you have a recommendation for a good beginners base to start with?

Its been years since I used M&P bases so what I used may not be available anymore. I do know that the Stephenson bases are pretty good as I used them myself. The SFIC bases are toted as being more "natural" as they don't contain some of the synthetic lather ingredients. You will have to try out several bases to determine which works for you. Do you want to go more natural or opt for more sudsy lather? Some bases except more additives while others lose their lather if you add more than a tablespoon of additives to a lb of base. 

Re the difference between M&P and CP as I mentioned CP is soap made completely from scratch. You use lye, liquids, and fats to produce it and it takes some skill and chemistry knowledge to make it and care working with lye. With M&P it is a ready made soap in a block. M&P is definitely the easiest to work with especially for a beginner. I did for a few years before I started making CP soap. I am glad I did as by the time I started making CP soap I had gained some knowledge of working with different additives, oils, butters, milks, etc.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Something else you might want to look into is CP rebatch soap (I get mine from Bramble Berry).  It is CP soap that is shredded and you can add various things to it, heat it in the microwave or double broiler and pour into molds.....every bit as easy as M&P.  Besides making bar soaps with the CP rebatch, I make hubby's shave soap with it and get great lather.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pam W said:

Something else you might want to look into is CP rebatch soap (I get mine from Bramble Berry).  It is CP soap that is shredded and you can add various things to it, heat it in the microwave or double broiler and pour into molds.

I saw that on the Brambleberry site last week but wasn’t quite sure what it was, so I went with a pound of the M&P goat and a pound of oatmeal base since I was my first time playing with soap. Will definitely keep it mind of next time.

On 1/9/2021 at 3:11 PM, Kris10Tackles said:

I saw that on the Brambleberry site last week but wasn’t quite sure what it was, so I went with a pound of the M&P goat and a pound of oatmeal base since I was my first time playing with soap. Will definitely keep it mind of next time.

When I first started playing around with soaps, I used the M&P because it was easy for me to make a soap to match the scents of candles and lotions that I was making for gift baskets...then I found the CP rebatch soaps....so easy to use.  However, the CP rebatch does come out rustic looking but the suds is great and it takes the FOs well.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2021 at 10:15 PM, Kris10Tackles said:

I will put it on my list to try down the line. Not ready for full on soap making just yet. 

Kris, using the CP rebatch works exactly the same as M&P....ya just melt the stuff, add whatever you want and put into molds.  I have never wanted to go into ''full soap making'' either, that why I use the CP rebatch stuff.  I'm too much of a clutz to mess with lye...lol

• 2 months later...
On 9/11/2020 at 2:11 PM, candleshiba said:

Hi folks! I was wondering if anyone could shed light into why certain soaps clog the tub?

A few years ago I was gifted a lavender handmade soap that was so wonderful that I tried to recreate it. I purchased some M&P base from bulk apothecary (honestly can't remember which one), and added some lavender into it. I think I let it cure for a week or 2, but I noticed that after using the soap, my tub was slowly getting more and more clogged. After that experience I sort of ran away from soap making.

I'd like to pick it back up again and stick with M&P because I'm a total newbie, but was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction? The amazing lavender soap that i was gifted had none of those clogging properties!

I believe it’s the botanical additives you added. Soap will create a thick scum, but in bath bombs, soaps, I try to stay away from botanical additives. They don’t dissolve, and catch on hair and soap scum will build up in your pipes and anything going down your pipes will catch and build clogs. But people 

love it. Also be careful in using certain materials, because they will rot, like petals.

Many melt and pour bases, and also cold process formulas,  are very soluble - they wear away quickly,  The amount of soap coming off the bar produces lovely lather, but can build up on pipes. 

Also, melt and pour has additives to easily melt the product to produce smooth bars in molds when you are making them. those additives solidify quickly to give solid bars in minutes.  So hot water softens the additives. Cold pipe solidifies the soap in the pipes in layers that can build up.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 1:41 AM, LisaDD said:

I try to stay away from botanical additives. They don’t dissolve, and catch on hair and soap scum will build up in your pipes and anything going down your pipes will catch and build clogs. But people 

love it. Also be careful in using certain materials, because they will rot, like petals.

Omg... I’m not the only one! This isn’t from a business perspective but just always the way I’ve felt. I’m like yea that looks pretty in a display on a shelf but what a disaster for my drains!! Lavender, coffee beans citrus peels, rose petals don’t just dissolve when water hits them. I’ve never understood the allure. I’ve always found it really gross.