Marketing Ideas / Advertising?

Brenda (OH)

OK - this year I am looking for new marketing ideas. What works best for you? Does advertising in local newspapers pay off? To date my business has grown from word of mouth and brochure parties. I have done a few fundraisers and love them but don't have as many as I would like. I'd like to step it up a bit in 2006. Anyone willing to share what works for you?

Brochure parties? I've never heard of those. I don't advertise in local papers yet, haven't decided if this will work for me. Something that has worked for me...I know a local author and she gives away little gifts and has raffles at her book signings, I've done some things for those and they've worked out. I've also been getting myself out there because I've been hosting vendor events in the area and people who are participating have purchased from me.

Samples, samples and more samples! Here's a couple ideas for you.

1. Connect with your local Welcome Wagon. Give a free votive or sample size of whatever you do, with card and brochure.

2. Scope out the engagements in the newspaper. Send a sample favor, brochure and let them know your services.

3.I generated sales and customers from distributing small May day baskets in my neighborhood.

I put my website on my labels, warning labels, business cards. The thing that has increased my business the most is talking to customers at craft show and when the shows are close to where I live I remind customers that I live close and can also deliver. Great customer service is the biggest way that I have increased sales. People like to know that your company is going to be around and you aren't there to just make a quick buck.

HTH,

Kim

I've never heard of the May Day basket of flowers thing...

is it a regional tradition?

I love the idea of it, though, it sounds so sweet and quaint.

Really you've never heard of it Fern? It is an old tradition. Actually it started as a pagan holiday thing I guess. I remember as a kid making them in school. My grandmother used to wallpaper and I remember making my basket out of the prettiest wallpaper and putting flowers in it.

Celebrating May Day

From Sherri Osborn,

Your Guide to Family Crafts.

FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

Surprise your neighbor with a special May Day basket and make many other crafts.

May Day (May 1st) is celebrated in many places around the world. The traditions and stories surrounding May Day vary from place to place. There is, however, one thing that is similar in most celebrations - the use of Flowers!

One of the most popularly known May Day traditions is to hang a basket full of spring flowers and/or other small gifts on a neighbor's doorknob. The trick is you don't want the neighbor to see you! If you get caught, you are supposed to get a kiss.

That is just too sweet! I can't believe we don't have this out here.

Honestly, I have never heard of it...I'm going to have to check with my neighbor-bud acrossed the street, and my Aunt in western NY...who grew up in Boston. If anyone will know, it's them!

Thanks so much for sharing that.

Gotta love America!

Yes when I was growing up we did this.Really nice.We had elderly people in the neighborhood and that is who we made them for.Just make up the baskets with flowers etc and walk up and leave it on the doorstep.We didn't leave a name but I hope they knew who was thinking of them.I didn't remember the kiss thing.Just make and put on the doorstep.

So we candlemakers will change the tradition and leave our basket and business info.Isn't it sad that this hasn't been carried on.My grandkids don't have a clue but I am going to tell them about it.My one granddaughter gets upset because the elderly lady next door is mean and hateful to them.Maybe I will put a bug in Kelsey's ear and have her surprise this lady.Maybe she will change.My granddaughter said she comes out of the house and says the car is parked where the sun is causing a glare on the TV and move the car because I cannot see my television.I hope this would make her happy.Not yell about it but politely say would you please move your car? Hope she won't yell if they come on her porch.

I live in the country but I could go to town and do this.Of course I will leave a business card etc.Good idea.

Yes quietgirl we aren't going to leave you alone.Enquiring minds want to know. PLEASE SHARE.We can't stand it.

LynnS

Here's the story on the May Day baskets. I had already planned on doing these and it was a couple days before May Day. I was new in the neighborhood and only knew 3 people on the block. My number one tip is to THINK who do you already know? What do they do for a living? Is there anyway I can incorporate that with something I make? Anyways, the lady across the street was the local public librarian. Hmm. My next door neighbor owned a health food store, beauty shop AND spa all in one building. Well on this particular day the librarian was out working in her yard. She was a member of the local garden club and knew ALOT of people. I had made a basket with a sampling of what I was doing(soap, candles, lotion etc) and walked across the street. I told her "Sweetie, you are making me tired watching you do all this work. I was gonna wait till May Day, but here's a little something for you to relax with tonite". (Oh, she was married and there was a man's soap and lotion too. After all, he works and HE knows people too!) She thought it was the sweetest thing and she loved it. She took her lotion to work, others tried it, pretty soon I was getting calls from the other ladies she worked with. The guy next door who owned the shop asked me where I had boughten the things because his wife wanted to mail a bunch of it to....drumroll.........AUSTRALIA! Then we started talking about him carrying my products. Dont be shy ladies. I know its hard at first, but you never know. If they dont go for it, dont take it as rejection or that your products are no good. You know they are! Thats just one no out of the way! Remember who do I know, what do they do? Where are the places I go and dont think about introducing products? Do You carry cards and brochures with you at all times? Do you carry samples? Sorry Im starting to ramble here.But thats another tip.