Coconut 83 wicks??

Hi all! New to the server here, but I've been reading around for a while and have found so much helpful information! I've read plenty of discussions pertaining to my question, but I figured I'd start the conversation anyways :) 

Just started working at a small business that sells candles- so a lot of things were already set in place before me but I'm starting to explore why things are done the way they are and brainstorm for different solutions. We sell candles in these jars: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/libbey-209-16-oz-customizable-can-glass-case/551209.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI86Gqh8DS6gIVBI7ICh29qQZwEAAYASAAEgJ2KvD_BwE and only use coconut 83 wax. We've been using CD 10 wicks- but I've started to learn that these may not be the best for this type of wax and diameter (huge mushrooming, even with diligent wick trimming) etc. I've just poured a batch trying HTP wicks of various sizes as we've never used these before- will update on these after they cure. (secondary question before I even ask the first- how long do you recommend waiting to cure just to do a wick test if I'm not concerned about HT?) 

Any other thoughts/recommendations for any types of wick with this jar and wax combo?

Hello and welcome. So happy to learn of another person who questions things. You will do well at this.

We have several long wicking discussions around regarding coconut wax. The consensus is to wick down, way down with most, including coco83. Here are a couple to get you started.

https://www.craftserver.com/topic/108625-coconut-83-wax/

https://www.craftserver.com/topic/111195-wicking-coconut-wax/

nobody can get a 100% same answer when asking the makeup of coco83. Some say it is coconut, apricot, palm and soy.  Some say it is coconut, soy, beeswax. In any of those individual wax components 3 days would be the minimum for most people. Soy can take weeks to be what it will become, but in easybeads (a coco 83 sister) it does not seem to change much with time.  Digging into a finished candle still feels like the texture of canned frosting.

cd wicks seem to like coco83.  That jar, with the ever so light curve/neck will generate a lot of heat the further down the container it burns.  In similar dimension jars I start with cd5 Or cd6 even when blending with some added soy or beeswax. An awful lot depends on the fragrance used and the actual lot of wax you have. The wax is so soft that by the middle of the jar the wax is fairly sludgy and will turn clear liquid in the blink of an eye if not careful. 

eco wicks do ok, but tend to get too hot compared to the consumption and can create carbon And soot like a cd that is over sized. 

hTP are similar to cd. It will be nice to learn what you think of them. Please share your results with us. 

@friendlysoutherner Hello, I have not used that specific wax but have been using Coconut Apricot wax and have had good luck with HTP wicks size 72 and under as well as Premier 700 series wicks size 740 and under. The ECO wicks burned way too hot for me but the smallest I had was an ECO-1 I will look for the smaller sizes.  CD wicks under 5 did OK. Not having much luck with Wooden wicks but like them more for the ambiance. RRD wicks I am still testing. LX wicks I have had good results with LX-14 and under. I am going to test Hemp next and see how that throws with this wax. 

I’ve had some luck and lots of no luck with 83.  I’ve blend with beeswax with the best results.  Double wicking 3.5in jar.  I do half jar testing by the time it hits the half that all wicks drown out. I’m thinking I’ve over wicking and at that point it’s super hot and the wicks can’t keep up.  Starting over with some other coco waxes but I want to try again with 83 and beeswax.  Going to start with cd 2 instead of cd 4 or 5 

Thanks so much for all the replies and tips!

Here's my update (see photo): testing with the same jars as linked in my original post. I'm wondering if the thinness of the walls (+ the nature of glass itself, along with what TallTayl mentioned that the top opening is tapered a bit) is impacting how poorly these are performing. Again, only using 100% coco83 easy beads with about an 8% FL. So far I've tested HTP 83 and HTP 73. 83 was an easy no, but after 73 started off really well it seemed to get very sooty further down so I've poured a few with the HTP 63 (initially it seems almost too small.. but starting to do better than 73 when it gets towards the bottom 1/3 of the jar). Also tested with CD 8 and CD 6 to compare. CD 8 was also an easy no, but the 6 seems to be comparable to the HTP 73. CD just mushrooms SO BAD in comparison to HTP no matter the size or how often we trim. BUT the main thing I am here to share is this photo- our original problem was how ugly the jars were with a CD 10, but here it seems the HTP 73 (right) is sooting more than the CD 6(left). Any thoughts? Just trying to make the best choice if people are going to be paying money for these 🤪

IMG-7220.jpg

I had the EXACT same problem with easybeads (supposedly the same product as COCO83, but it is anyone's guess).

In the end I  had to blend with another wax to contain the greasy-feeling soot.  In my containers the wax burns and soots very similarly to the vaseline-like 4627.  25-30% of a soy or 4-5% beeswax can help tame the main issue without creating too many other issues.

In a jar of those proportions, I would wick down to a CD5 and see how that does. My calypso jars are similar in proportions but without the little curve, and I need to wick that low even when blended.

Carbon mushrooms can be caused by too big of a wick, or too small.  Either direction can flood the wick with fuel that the flame just cannot keep up with.Wicks with cotton pull a lot of fuel. Just recently I tried an Aromalite and Helix in a small jar very successfully. The Aromalite family by Atkins and Pearce wicks are a cellulose that seem to overcome fragrance load issues. The Cottonwood are the same, or very similar fibers. I love them, but their smallest size is still far too large for Coco83 wax in that size jar.

I would test Aromalite more if not for the 5,000 min order size. Helix are available in some sizes through Yaley. I've seen Yaley in several retail places like Jo-Ann craft stores. If you have access, I would try the very smallest size and see how it goes. Helix burn hot, as they are braided Aromalite. A Helix 1 is the smallest size, and it did the job very well in a hard-to-burn essential oil candle I was having trouble wicking traditionally.

Precision Wicking sometimes offers opportunities to buy trial size packages of their wick offerings. I purchased every size of the Helix and Aromalite for testing.

You can try atkins and pearce customer service to buy sample packs also. Not sure on the policies of either place these days. If there were enough interest I would be willing to co-op some sizes. 

FIngers crossed for you!

• Like 1

I don't have as much experience as TallTayl to share,  but I could never get a clean burn out of coco83 without adding soy.  Same with the Northwoods coconut wax. I love the way it throws some types of scents and how easy it is to pour, but I had to give up on it because I couldn't wick it clean enough. The very small HTP sizes are where I had the most luck, but because they don't burn as hot as many others the HT was just average. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wood wick with this wax will fix everything. When I was messing with the 83 I couldn't get any wick to work very good, even with beeswax added. I kept seeing other vendors at the markets using wood wicks with their coconut so I tried it with success.

• 1 year later...

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short posting a response, but I thought I'd share what I recently learned.  I have not tried this yet, but plan on doing so.  I watched a video on You Tube from Sixteen Seventeen  titled "How To Make A Coconut Wax Candle in The Maia Ceramic."  It was posted a year ago.  Vanessa combined Coconut 83 with SP 486 wax.  She gives details on the wicks used.  Hope this helps!

53 minutes ago, MelT said:

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short posting a response, but I thought I'd share what I recently learned.  I have not tried this yet, but plan on doing so.  I watched a video on You Tube from Sixteen Seventeen  titled "How To Make A Coconut Wax Candle in The Maia Ceramic."  It was posted a year ago.  Vanessa combined Coconut 83 with SP 486 wax.  She gives details on the wicks used.  Hope this helps!

She is a member here :) I'm sure she will be happy to see your comment.

For others who use Coco83 alone or blended, CDN are nearly always the best wick choice in most containers. I blend with a 5301-A container palm for most lots of coco83. other choices such as 3-5% white beeswax, or 25% C1, or 25% midwest soy wax are equally good, just not as clean as 5301-A palm. 

One particularly terrible lot of coco83 worked perfectly with 50% midwest soy wax. 

As always, test from top to bottom with any new combo and any new fragrance.

On 9/14/2021 at 4:44 PM, TallTayl said:

She is a member here :) I'm sure she will be happy to see your comment.

For others who use Coco83 alone or blended, CDN are nearly always the best wick choice in most containers. I blend with a 5301-A container palm for most lots of coco83. other choices such as 3-5% white beeswax, or 25% C1, or 25% midwest soy wax are equally good, just not as clean as 5301-A palm. 

One particularly terrible lot of coco83 worked perfectly with 50% midwest soy wax. 

As always, test from top to bottom with any new combo and any new fragrance.

Thank you for the info!  I was going to update this by saying that I watched another video by Vanessa and she used SP 487 wax as well.  I will have to try beeswax with the Coconut 83.  Bought the CDN wicks from 1617 and like them very much.  Love Vanessa's videos too!  🥰