Whipped Body Butter and Scrubs

jmspgh

I know that in my reading and re-reading of posts I have seen this but I can't seem to locate it when I am actually looking for it. (isn't that always how it happens?) Does anyone have a good basic whipped body butter and/or whipped sugar scrub recipe that can be easily modified with different oils, fragrance, etc? I want to try making my own but I'm not sure where to start...maybe it will distract me some while I wait for my candles to cure! Personally I am not a huge fan of the greasiness of shea butter so I was thinking that I would start my experimenting with mango butter.  Any suggestions on good liquid oils to start the learning process?

Check out WSP (Wholesale Supplies Pluse) site.  They have lots of recipes and you can tweak them to your liking.  I make a whipped body butter with Shea, Coconut, Apricot, Meadowfoam and IPM.   The IPM helps with the greasiness.  

I don't make a whipped sugar scrub so no help there, I make an emulsified sugar scrub.    Though it could be whipped.  

2 hours ago, Shari said:

Check out WSP (Wholesale Supplies Pluse) site.  They have lots of recipes and you can tweak them to your liking.  I make a whipped body butter with Shea, Coconut, Apricot, Meadowfoam and IPM.   The IPM helps with the greasiness.  

I don't make a whipped sugar scrub so no help there, I make an emulsified sugar scrub.    Though it could be whipped.  

Thanks! That kind of formula breakdown is exactly what I was looking for to help "get to know" the ratios and ingredients. I should have said emulsified instead of whipped in regards to the sugar scrub...still learning the language. The more I read the more curious I am.

If you are going to wsp website for recipe, you should convert their recipes in their calculators to find out the percentage of each ingredient. Then try  the recipe and see how you like it. If it needs a tweak like needs to be be firmer or less greasy you can change the percentage of ingredients easier and do another test. So if you made a curb that had 20 per cent Shea and you hated it  you could easily calculate it and reduce it down by percentage to where you like it.

Learning to convert a recipe into a formula is a great exercise! It can be intimidating at first, but quickly becomes a lifesaver when it is time to scale batch size up or down. If you have a spreadsheet app, you can make templates to “do the math” lightening fast. 

I wish I could go back and tell my younger self to pay more attention in math and chemistry classes!! Who would have thought that I would actually want to use that kinda stuff someday? HA! My husband is a spreadsheet pro which will definitely come in handy once I figure out what I like.

I have converted some of the whipped body butter WSP recipes and some from another site into percentages.  One thing that I noticed is that WSP had a much smaller percentage of liquid oils to butters (usually around 4-6% oil and 85-90% butter) whereas the other site was more along the lines of 30-35% liquid oil and 55-65% butter. I plan on trying both, and probably everywhere in between, to see what I like best but what would be the pros/cons of the higher or lower percentages of each?