Brown around the edge 4630 8 oz tin

I was burning an 8 oz tin with 4630 and Amish Harvest.  Wick LX 18 and it was working very well on flame, MP and scent but after 4 hours I put out when I saw the brown around the edge.

What is this?  Rust??Brown around the edge 4630 8 oz tin

DSC00015.JPG

DSC00016.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

When I started with candles I used tins and that use to happen to me to, it looks a little different though.  I'm not absolutely sure why but it seemed like it happened when I used fo's with a lot of vanillin in it..and I think amish harvest has some 

Amish Harvest is one of those FOs that always discolors tins.  I don't know what the particulars are regarding what will and what won't discolor.  Maybe it's a combination of things.  I have many vanillas and other high vanillin content FO's that don't discolor tins and then again there are a few that do.  But Amish Harvest does, every single time.

Some FO use powdered resins to get specific notes. That could be residue from that. Or could just be from thick parts of the spice notes. It’s not rust.  Makes me wonder, though, if discoloration has been mistaken for rust. .  I have never once had a tin rust. Residue or discoloration sure, but not rust. 

32 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Some FO use powdered resins to get specific notes. That could be residue from that. Or could just be from thick parts of the spice notes. It’s not rust.  Makes me wonder, though, if discoloration has been mistaken for rust. .  I have never once had a tin rust. Residue or discoloration sure, but not rust. 

Agreed.  I've never seen one actually rust, and I do citronella candles that sit outside for days or weeks and they don't rust.

7 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Agreed.  I've never seen one actually rust, and I do citronella candles that sit outside for days or weeks and they don't rust.

I have washed in soap and water, ammonia and alcohol trying to get them to rust and nothing, 

• Like 1