Layer of film on melt pool

47 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

What kind of wax? It looks like components of the blend are congealing in the melt pool,p.

ie the melt pool is cooler than the drop point of something in the wax blend.

Its the coconut creme from wooden wick.  Its a coco/soy blend.  I can't step up to the next wick size for a hotter melt pool because then I get a full melt pool way too quick (45min on first burn).

19 minutes ago, hyeteck said:

Its the coconut creme from wooden wick.  Its a coco/soy blend.  I can't step up to the next wick size for a hotter melt pool because then I get a full melt pool way too quick (45min on first burn).

I wouldn’t worry about it, personally.  Nobody else will notice.

Your flame is leaning to the right, and thin layer is forming on the right side.  It might be that your candle is sitting on AC cold air flow path.

If next size up is giving you full melt pool too fast, then cut that wick on the side to reduce the width.  I choose thickness of wooden wick based on viscosity of wax & FO combo, and I choose width based on container size. 

*Even though wood wicks will create full melt pool quicker than regular wicks, 45 minutes seem little too fast.

15 hours ago, BusyBee said:

Your flame is leaning to the right, and thin layer is forming on the right side.  It might be that your candle is sitting on AC cold air flow path.

If next size up is giving you full melt pool too fast, then cut that wick on the side to reduce the width.  I choose thickness of wooden wick based on viscosity of wax & FO combo, and I choose width based on container size. 

*Even though wood wicks will create full melt pool quicker than regular wicks, 45 minutes seem little too fast.

The flame moves around and it just so happens to be on the right side when the picture was taken.  Its centered most of the time.

How do you test the viscosity of the wax and fragrance oil combo?

1 hour ago, hyeteck said:

The flame moves around and it just so happens to be on the right side when the picture was taken.  Its centered most of the time.

How do you test the viscosity of the wax and fragrance oil combo?

Unless we send it to candle testing lab, we are not going to able to get exact numbers for viscosity.  We would have to rely on eye judgement & mini testing.

Can you see the difference of viscosity from following 2 pictures just by looking at it?

Sometimes I scoop up melted wax with little tea spoon and drop it back to see the flow of wax to see how lean or thick melted waxes are.  I rub it in between fingers also.

DSCN09662.thumb.jpg.578aeaaeeb7b510f3901dd60c9a68ab4.jpg

20190825_1933472.thumb.jpg.d07334b41406285a26b5107de55070c7.jpg

I've used that wax a lot and don't ever see that happen. Tell me more about your process... fragrance load, what temps you're heating the wax to and adding the fragrance, how long you're stirring it in etc. Something might be off.