Wanting to votives,?

COULD ANYONE HELP?

I'm getting ready to try and do some votives again with KY's votive/pillar wax. The first time I did them my flame was very large, no matter what kind of wick I tried. I went up in size, went down in size, the flame was still large, I've tried the HTP, CD, Cotton, Can someone tell me why I'm getting the large flame? also not getting a mp. and no throwI poured at 175, used dye flakes, pumpkin pie FO 1oz per lb, Don't know why I'm having so much problems with flame size.

I was so upset on having a large flame on the votives. dummy me I forgot to mention I was trying to do the flower pot votive, using the pot as the mold. I'm not adding any additives. The diam of the FPV is 2 1/2, I have let them cure for 2 weeks.

Thanks for the help

mystical_angel, I don't have the CD-7, I do have the CD-8, and Eco-6, I might have a sample of the CD-7, I'll try them. now that I have a starting point I should be able to work from there. No I haven't posted on KY's board,

Thanks for all the help from everyone.

what does CD stand for and what suppliers sell them?
I don't know what it stands for, but it's a type of German flat braid. It's very good and comes in lots of sizes. Same basic type of wick as HTP.

A few places you can get them:

http://www.candlecocoon.com/

http://scentedbean.com/

http://www.candlesupply.com/

There's a version called CDN that has a special treatment to make it work better in very acidic vegetable waxes. It makes no difference in my soy, but maybe in some cases there's an advantage. You would probably definitely want to use those in palm wax since it's basically stearic acid.

mystical_angel, I don't have the CD-7, I do have the CD-8, and Eco-6, I might have a sample of the CD-7, I'll try them. now that I have a starting point I should be able to work from there. No I haven't posted on KY's board,

Thanks for all the help from everyone.

If you can't find your samples of the CD 7 PM and I will look thru my many wick bins. :smiley2:

mystical_angel, thanks for the offer on the CD-7 wick, I found some that I had from wick's wares, I tried the CD-7 and it only burned about 1" out from the wick, major wax hang-up all around the sides, the 7 is way to small, I have some 8's, I'll try them this evening and then go from there. Do you know anything about the LX's? I have a sample pack of them,would any of them work?

Thanks again for the offer, I appreicate it.

I use the KY Pillar/votive wax. I generally use a 44c in my 2 oz votives and these work great for me. At Christmas time when I use dye in my votives, I have to sometimes go up a size. I found the 36c to be too small for even my votives that don't have color. What size cottons did you use? Since you are using the flower pot votive which has a 2 1/2 inch diameter, maybe a 51c would work and from there you can adjust accordingly? Good luck.

I tried the CD-7 and it only burned about 1" out from the wick, major wax hang-up all around the sides, the 7 is way to small, I have some 8's, I'll try them this evening and then go from there. Do you know anything about the LX's? I have a sample pack of them,would any of them work?
There's not really a need to jump around. The CD will work fine when you find the right size, so wick up to CD-8 and see how that works. I notice you've mentioned large flames in this thread and previous ones. Make sure you are really trimming those wicks to the right length. Even a largish wick wouldn't be a blowtorch right away if it's trimmed to 1/4 inch so I'm wondering if you could be leaving them too long...? That could cause some tunneling too.

topofmurrayhill, when I tried the CD-7 for the first time, I trim my wick to 1/2" to start and after the first burn, then I trim the wick to 1/4". Was I suppose to trim it to 1/4" to start with?
Yes. That type and size of wick it will trim itself down somewhat if you light it at 1/2 inch, but it's still better to trim it properly before lighting. If you light a larger size wick at that length, it will pretty much immediately be a torch. Maybe this has been contributing to some of your dilemmas.