Musk or musk based scents that are as good as the vintage 'fumes? Other "hippie" scents?

Darbla

Just like all of our FOs have been getting reformulated over the past few years, so have ready-made perfumes, from the cheapie body sprays at Wal-Mart all the way up to Chanel, Guerlain, and all the other hoity-toity fragrance houses.  I was discussing musk 'fumes that we all used back in the day and nothing is as good now as it used to be.  The cheapest Jovan and Alyssa Ashley musks used to be perfectly divine, but not now.  So what do we have in FOs that comes closest?

Besides just musk, what are some other really good "hippie" type scents now?  Patchouli comes to mind.  Incense & sandalwood type stuff.  Nag champa, dragon's blood, etc., all that stuff that smells like a head shop?

• Like 1

RE has a Strawberry Musk that's pretty amazing !
Definitely a "Head Shop" scent, it reminds me of an incense that I used to burn in my youth ;) 

3 hours ago, Darbla said:

The cheapest Jovan and Alyssa Ashley musks used to be perfectly divine, but not now.

I totally agree ! Those are the only fragrances I ever wore, besides patchouli, and they are so weak now. I wished they were still as good because I really, really miss them :( 

• Like 1

I worked on organizing some of my FO's yesterday, and I made a new category for myself with a box labeled "Hippie".  These are what I have and am putting in that category:

Dark Musk   ---   Nature's Garden

Egyptian Dragon   ---   Nature's Garden

Egyptian Dragon   ---   Oregon Trails

Goddess   ---   Old Mill

Majmua   ---   Nemat International

Mary Jane   ---   Peak

Mayan Musk   ---  Nature's Garden

Moon Shadows   ---   Heaven Scent

Musk   ---   Heaven Scent

Nile Queen   ---   Bramble Berry

Patchouli   ---   Peak

Scheherazade   ---   The Scent Works

Strawberry Musk   ---   Old Mill; don't know how this one compares to RE's

Violet Musk   ---   Green Leaf

Sad that so many of these wonderful companies are out of business now.  :(

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@NightLight who makes that Karma dupe you like?

@chevcher I see now there's a Mill Creek order in my future.....

Y'all, I found Candle Science Moon Lake Musk in my pile, mixed it with some alcohol, and this is absolutely looooooovely.  It reminds me of Bonne Bell Skin Musk from back in the day.

I also did up a little of that Heaven Scent Musk, THEN looked at the label, and it was candles only.  I used it up by spraying it on my clothes and just avoiding skin (shrug).  It also is quite nice, and a soft musk and not skanky, but is long since gone from anybody purchasing it now.  I also made a roll-on of some old Tony's Dragon Blood I found a sample of (who's carries Tony's/Southern Garden Scents now?  I can't remember...), and it is wonderful but it only takes a tiny dab to do you.   Gotta try that Nature's Garden Dark Musk next, and for some reason I've gotten a craving for a green musk so this is happening soon too:  Nature's Garden Green Amber

• Like 1