Hi All.

I would like to get my candle stuff out of the house and into a workshop. I haven't noticed info on here regarding how to go about finding work shop space for rent in your local area. I know a lot of you use your home or garage for this. I would like to rent a small space and I was hoping to find listings online but they are few and far between or very expensive. There seems to be a need for specific listings for small, inexpensive work spaces for crafters/artists. Does anyone know of any websites or groups that discuss this or have info? Would be nice if there was a website that listed artist work spaces for rent in different cities. I found a few but they are not in my state (TN) and I also found a few listings on Craigslist in my local area but they are too big and/or too expensive, at least for starting out.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks. 😉

Hi Laura,

If you are in big city, then Loopnet would be a good source.  But, it does not have any listing in your area.

https://www.loopnet.com/

You might want to contact "Townsend Artisan Guild".  Maybe they can help you find a space or share space?  https://www.townsendartisanguild.org/index.html

Also, you might want to go visit "Little River Railroad Museum".  It seemed like they use to have little gift shop, but it appears to be no more and might have turned it to an office.  https://littleriverrailroad.org/

Good luck with your searching!

• Like 1

Not sure about TN, but in CA I just looked on Craigslist when I needed a workshop.  We lucked out and found a house that had a downstairs studio apt and we moved us and my workshop.

Insurance was killer high here if I didn't operate in my home, so this worked for us.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Laura C If you have an arts district in your area, you might want to check with the Chamber of Commerce .
Several years ago I was able to rent a nice work space / brick & mortar pretty inexpensively . Our arts district was rennovating many old store fronts and offered them to local artists looking for space to create or set up retail shops.
My only downfall was sharing that space with a family member that pretty much stuck me with ALL the responsibilities 😒 Lesson learned !
 I ended up back home, but took over the entire basement by setting up several work stations to accomidate everything that I make throughout the year.
I would love to have a ground level workshop someday, my old knees would be overjoyed 😊 

• Thanks 1

Hi @chevcher. Thanks for sharing your story, sounds like you have an ideal work space in your basement now. I'm just looking for a small space, nothing fancy, just to do my production and storage. Great idea, I'm going to call my chamber of commerce today and inquire. If you don't ask then you never know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chevcher said:

I'm excited for you !
Hope you find something amazing and affordable. 

Thank you, I'm very excited too, can't wait to finalize products and get a business up and running. I've been slowly working toward this goal for almost 5 yrs. now, LOL. Hobbyist wanting to be a small business owner, I'll see what happens. I contacted my local chamber of commerce and some other people, waiting to hear back from them. 🤞 

I currently live in Townsend, TN which is part of a large craft community in the Smoky Mountains that includes Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville (Dollywood), I'm surprised that there is not a need for renting out nitty, gritty work spaces to crafters. If there is such a place I haven't found it yet. I have found some nice, small store fronts or booths but that's not what I need right now and they are expensive. 💲

I just thought of something else, maybe I should search candle making groups on facebook, twitter, etc. and see if there are any local to me and if they have any info.

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 2