Larger, decorative containers that you would set a candle inside of?

For example, during the Autumn time of the year I have metal pumpkins that I set my container candles down inside of.  And I have a huge orange bucket with cut-outs on the sides forming a picture that is great with candles in it.  Or some people add a hurricane glass over candles.  I'm looking for ideas like that to set glass container candles down in, to make an arrangement for a gift.  What have you found in vases, bowls, or such-like that you liked for placing candles inside?  Even better if this is kind of Christian / religious themed, as it's for a friend who is of that persuasion.

Speaking of hurricane glass, have you noticed those significantly holding in heat and not letting it disperse as safely?  The pumpkins and bucket I have are much larger and rather airy, and I've never felt they were getting hot inside at all.

Edit:  I just had a possibly cool idea:  a bowl of water.  Put a glass container candle in the middle, fill around it with water, can even dye it if you want, float some flowers or something in the water while the candle is burning.  You couldn't have an arrangement be any safer!  Hmmmmmmm..........

Edited by Darbla

Be super careful about putting candles inside of other things. Container candles are designed to burn with nothing else on or around them. Air currents inside of other containers can increase temps significantly, possibly to the point of cracking glass or setting the wax surface on fire.  differences of temp as little as 10 degrees change everything in a container. 

also, noooo to water.  Google wax + fire + water. It equals terrible explosions under the right circumstances. 

a pretty pedestal might be nice.  Decorate a sturdy pedestal, like a cake stand or cupcake stand, with seasonal theme. 

• Like 1

I have used the fish bowls for smaller votive candles.  I put sand and seashells in the bottom and a votive in the middle of that.  Maybe I can find one large enough for these containers.

On the water idea, people float candles in water.  Is there just not enough wax to water ratio in those to really cause any problems?

11 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Be super careful about putting candles inside of other things. Container candles are designed to burn with nothing else on or around them. Air currents inside of other containers can increase temps significantly, possibly to the point of cracking glass or setting the wax surface on fire.  differences of temp as little as 10 degrees change everything in a container. 

also, noooo to water.  Google wax + fire + water. It equals terrible explosions under the right circumstances. 

a pretty pedestal might be nice.  Decorate a sturdy pedestal, like a cake stand or cupcake stand, with seasonal theme. 

I mean they've had those floating tea lights for decades and I've never found them to be overly dangerous in a large heavy ceramic or glass bowl. The diameter of the candle keeps the flames off the sides  of the bowl if they drift to the side (which they ALWAYS do unless you put a drop of Dawn in the water). 

12 hours ago, Darbla said:

For example, during the Autumn time of the year I have metal pumpkins that I set my container candles down inside of.  And I have a huge orange bucket with cut-outs on the sides forming a picture that is great with candles in it.  Or some people add a hurricane glass over candles.  I'm looking for ideas like that to set glass container candles down in, to make an arrangement for a gift.  What have you found in vases, bowls, or such-like that you liked for placing candles inside?  Even better if this is kind of Christian / religious themed, as it's for a friend who is of that persuasion.

Speaking of hurricane glass, have you noticed those significantly holding in heat and not letting it disperse as safely?  The pumpkins and bucket I have are much larger and rather airy, and I've never felt they were getting hot inside at all.

Edit:  I just had a possibly cool idea:  a bowl of water.  Put a glass container candle in the middle, fill around it with water, can even dye it if you want, float some flowers or something in the water while the candle is burning.  You couldn't have an arrangement be any safer!  Hmmmmmmm..........

I think a house would be a nice decorative container to put my candles in... 

6 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

I mean they've had those floating tea lights for decades and I've never found them to be overly dangerous in a large heavy ceramic or glass bowl. The diameter of the candle keeps the flames off the sides  of the bowl if they drift to the side (which they ALWAYS do unless you put a drop of Dawn in the water).

The difference is the amount of energy between candles, The energy from a tea light wick is like a little 9 volt battery. A typically wicked 3” Jar is a 220 line.  Stick your tongue on the 9 volt you get a tingle. Your tongue on a live 220 line leaves you a crispy critter. 

when  glass cracks and drains wax into the surrounding vessel, the wick flares, often pretty dramatically. The wick heat and flare is potentially sufficient to set the surface of the wax on fire, or the area above/around the candle. I leave a charred table in my living room as a reminder to myself what damage a simple candle can cause.

ETA. If it was a great idea Yankee and everyone else would be selling them. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 9:09 AM, TallTayl said:

The difference is the amount of energy between candles, The energy from a tea light wick is like a little 9 volt battery. A typically wicked 3” Jar is a 220 line.  Stick your tongue on the 9 volt you get a tingle. Your tongue on a live 220 line leaves you a crispy critter. 

when  glass cracks and drains wax into the surrounding vessel, the wick flares, often pretty dramatically. The wick heat and flare is potentially sufficient to set the surface of the wax on fire, or the area above/around the candle. I leave a charred table in my living room as a reminder to myself what damage a simple candle can cause.

ETA. If it was a great idea Yankee and everyone else would be selling them. 

I were confused. You're talking about LARGE floating candles, uh, right? Yanno... I'm not a chandler... I'm gonna get back to chopping up dirty silk undies for some soap.