Major major seepage issues

All of a sudden my candles tops are seeping FO like crazy. I had no idea why but read a bunch of posts here and *think* I have discovered the problem. But first: the basic facts. I am using 90% 464 and 10% coconut 83. I pour pretty hot (175-180) as this seems to give me the least trouble with the coconut wax. I use between 8 and 10% FO, depending on the fragrance. 

After researching here (thank you!) I think my problem is that recently I started to pour the candles inside a cardboard box because my studio is so cold right now. I had thought the slow cool would be better than them cooling off quickly in a 50F room.

My question--what do I do with all these seeping candles? There are probably 150 of these. ☹️ Can I fix them? Can they be used? It never occurred to me that cooling too slowly would be a problem!!

Thanks!

Slow cool can help prevent/lessen some issues with soy, IME. I made the mistake two years ago of leaving freshly poured (1 day old) 464 candles in a vehicle (not freezing but in the 40-50's) while at a holiday gathering and they promptly weeped. That was with 6% FO and a little stearic in the blend. I suspect that even with the box your candles got too cold and the soy contracted too rapidly, causing the FO and any non-solid fractions from the coco83 to migrate to the surface. With my candles, I wiped the surfaces and continued to dab the surface of any droplets that formed later. Once they came back to room temp for a day or two the seepage stopped. Plus side: they performed fairly well considering what they went through. Negative side: the top surface developed severe frosting over time and some had hairline cracks.

Cooling too slowly changes the crystal development in soy wax. If too slow, larger crystals form which can easily result in seepage. 

if you dig out the center of one you can often see the larger grains where the fragrance just weeps through. 

with soy wax and soy blends I cool rapidly in the pour pot and pour into containers  when cloudy. This usually prevents cavities and makes smooth shiny tops so no heat gunning, no weeping, no repours 

Thanks y'all. Do you think if I remelt them and then cool on the counter I can fix the problem? If I were to try this would I pour the wax in a pot and then repour in the container or just melt in the jar and let them set up as is? Would they need to cure again (I'm guessing yes)? It would be a lot of work since there are so many but if it can help it would be worth the effort.

Thanks!

Peggy do a repour and see how the tester candles are. I think you have issues adding too much fragrance - ask me how I know. 6 percent is really good for most fragrances.

If you still get seepage with the repour you could add more soy wax.  Also suggest you heat your space. Use a space heater and remelt and cool in warmed space for at least four hours.

Other thoughts - are you sure you mixed in the fragrance at 180 degrees really really well?   Also if you have cool room use towels as insulating surface.

I now definitely think my issue is related to insulating and getting large soy crystals. I remelted a few over the weekend and cooled them in my kitchen at 68-70F. Previously I was working in my studio which was so cold I tried to compensate by putting them in individual cardboard boxes that the jars came in. The candles I remelted in my kitchen and allowed to cool more quickly in a warmer room appear to be much better (for now🤞). I think I will try some more to see what happens. If it's resolved the issue, then I will crank out the remaining 96 candles 🙄.

NL--to answer your questions. I am 100% positive I mixed the FO well. I always set a timer for 3 minutes and stir the whole time at 180 F. This procedure has always given my smooth tops and minimal sink holes. I am happy to reduce the amount of FO I use (because, money) but I will say that I didn't have this seeping issue at even up to 12% FO (waay too much, I know). It only started when I insulated them to cool very slowly. Interesting lesson learned. I am going to try 7% FO , "normal cooldown" with a looong cure and see how that shakes out. 

I think th e answer seems ambient temp. If cooling your candles in your kitchen that is 68-70 that tells you that is optimal temp for your formula. So if your studio is cooler than that then use a space heater to get room up to that temp when making and cooling for a good couple hours in cool down period. Then when you are ablt to move candles bring them to warmer part of house.