Product pictures!

MTMade

I read a post from someone regarding this question - not on this forum - and of course I can't find it, but thought I would see if anyone here had insight as this forum is my go to. :-) 

I hope I can explain this well enough:

When taking pics of products, using one really good picture and overlaying different images on that picture is called what? Does it have a name? For example (from what I've seen most of), creating different product pictures to show different candle labels using one picture with different label graphics overlaid on that same picture - so it looks clean and cohesive.  

Thanks! Tell me if I'm crazy - maybe it doesn't have a name!

Dani

48 minutes ago, MilosCandles said:

Not quite. It's all done digitally. I have a picture, for instance, and instead of taking a different picture of every candle with the different labels, I digitally superimpose a different JPEG (or whatever it may be) of a label over top the one in the picture... It would make the label look much easier to read as well, which is what I'm going for... I'm probably not making sense...

https://blog.storyblocks.com/tutorials/wrap-image-around-item-photoshop/

or

http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/3dtransform/3dtransform.htm

Really you are just warping the picture some to "match" curve of the candle.

In photoshop you just have layers with each image on a layer, and then you either have the layer visible or not.

Green screening to grab cleanly cropped images for overlaying on backgrounds/products?

If just adding a label over a product, you could do that with layering in Photoshop. Take the original image with product in it, create a new layer(s) for the label, which will be superimposed over the base layer/image.

Edited by Kerven
  • Thanks 1

@MTMade You're looking for a candle "mockup" aka candle label mockup.  This is something I'd probably do in Illustrator not photoshop and for most vessels you'd need to add in some degree of warp effect to account for the cylinder curve.  It's not the simplest thing to do but I'm sure if you google candle mockup label you'll find tutorials for both photoshop and illustrator.

• Thanks 1