Soy vs paraffin

I am new to this forum so forgive me if I mess up. I just came from another forum and they sent me here. It seems this forum has all the CORRECT answers. So here goes. People are boasting about soy or NVsoy. Apparently there is a difference between NVsoy and soy. Also there is a difference between soy and paraffin. Any advice?

NVsoy and Candle Wealth are linked together. Its a scam for candle wealth. Don't bother.

Sorry but these people piss me off by telling new candlemakers that they are choosing everything wrong and by promoting candle wealth. Drives me nuts. I've seen posts that have nothing to do with wax and there are responses from the candle wealth people pointing them to the site. They are a pyramid scheme and are giving soy a bad name....so steer clear.

HTH.

So in other words you are giving your opinion. I really don't want opinions. I would like to have facts. Seems like everyone in these forums are experts with opinions. Where do I find some facts about soy vs. paraffin? But thanks for your opinion.

I checked out the website you told us about. This article said that there is no problems associated with paraffin. Paraffin and soy are both safe and soy wax makers are not telling the truth about soy. What I found interesting is that the people writing this article is IGI. IGI owns and operates the largest independent, ISO 9001 registered, petroleum wax refinery/blending plant in North America. So is this a little bias. These facts are taken from this website. NOT MY OPINION.

I dont want to come off as mean but oh well.

Rudy, you come into this forum asking for ADVICE. And when someone does take the time to reply, you are NOTHING but RUDE. If you want facts, then might I SUGGEST you do is go to a Search Engine such as Google and do some research to get the facts that you are so looking for and not come into these forums and ask questions then be rude to the person(s) trying to help or guide you to the right direction.

Thats my opinion....Opinions are like A-holes....Everyone has one :)

Thank you and have a nice day

As one who is currently switching from a paraffin wax to a natural soy blend, I will never use the "scare tactics" that some soy candle makers or distributors use to sell more product.

Several weeks ago I had a long conversation with a rep from Golden Brands (I believe it may have been Jason??). Anyway, as a salesperson of soy and natural waxes, even he gently warned me about making false claims regarding the use of soy wax over paraffin. As he said, there is really no scientific proof out there right now that soy wax is healthier or cleaner to burn in your home. He said I might be safe to simply say that one might experience less soot and of course it does support the "American farmer" (who wouldn't want to do that! :smiley2:).

Kinda makes the hardworking guys out in the petroleum fields look like "bad guys" and not deserving of our support :sad2:.

I was switching purely for as a marketing ploy. Honestly, I'm thinking of going back to paraffin!? :tongue2:

Who asked me to change anyways?? My customers were perfectly happy with the way they were. In fact they're a little nervous now that they won't be as good.

Wish I could just decide and stick with it! Grrrrrr . . .

Sorry for rambling on here. All this just occured to me as I was reponding to the post :undecided

I agree with Ashlie, you came on here looking for advice, that is what you got. If you are not happy with what you are reading, do a internet search for "the facts". Then you won't have to be so irritated at everyone else's opinions. Very few on this board claim to be experts and know all of the right answers, if we were we wouldn't all be here. So all that can be offered are our opinions. If you want facts, then maybe you should do your own testing and research, Google and Dogpile are very helpful for that. Have a nice day. :)

First of all words when typed sound ruder than they are meant to be. I am sorry for that. And I did ask for advice. Thanks for that. But did get what I came for. I went to the web page and it is a good one. I did not want to go to a web page written by anyone promoting either soy or paraffin. So with that said, I really am a nice person and easy to get along with but I did seem to stir up a hornets nest. So again I am sorry if I offended and made you all mad and thank you for taking time to answer me. :embarasse

:) Henry :) don't let that stuff bother you, we've all have ask you for your solid advice and got the help we needed. Rudy got what she came for info, albeit it may or not be what she wanted to here. Vicki may have said it best" no scientific proof ". Just look at the top of the jar if you see black soot, it should have a chimney. Rudy did apoligize, so twit or not, lets give her a break and move on.

Keep on Pouring,

John

I just wanted to mention something I saw in the post about ISO 9000, don't be fooled by this at all. I am a former ISO inspector and thats all that any of the ISO 9000 or 14,000 series means is that the company does what they say they do. Confusing, yes, to put it simply, if a company made cement boots and had a written procedure on how they made the cememt boots, and followed it to a "T", they could get ISO certification. Any business that has a specific procedure and follows it, qualifies if they pass the audit. So it doesn't mean you get better quality anything, it's just a bragging right, so don't let that ever sway your decision on a purchase.

We have been making candles for over 5 years. We've made both paraffin and soy candles over the years .. both had pros and cons... ultimately we decided on a soy wax blend.

Our candles burn with little to no soot, burn slower than some of their petro counter parts and I think our scent throw is some of the best. We hear from alot of customers that they are able to burn our candles without it bothering their allergies... since I know the FO's are simliar.. I'm thinking the difference must be the wax and something that is (or isn't) emitted... all that being said...

Am I so sure of this I make such claims when selling to new customers???.. Nope! Do I think our soy candles candles aggravate some people's allergies?? Absolutely! Are soy candles soot free?? Nope, not always. Are there paraffin candles out there with little to no soot, long burning with fabulous scent throw??? .. Positively!!!!

I think you just find a wax you like, can work easily with.. can make a profit by using and just go with it. I don't feel the need to bad mouth other people's products to get someone to buy mine... I suspect most of the candle makers here feel the same...

I doubt I helped you with your soy vs paraffin argument... and unless you are willing to sink a ton into research I doubt you'll get an unbiased answer. Just start testing and you will quickly figure out whats the best choice for you :)

My 2 scents,

Chele

If I could answer the question, what should be the factor that makes some decide to use a certain wax is:

The amount of time and effort one wants to put into working with a certain wax.

Some people have figured out how to make a candle with paraffin, and they get into a comfort zone with it. I started out with soy not because of any PC-driven hype over it's health benefits or it's moral superiority to the EEEVIL petroleum product paraffin, I chose soy because it is easier to handle and clean up jars after wick testing! I am very comfortable with soy. If I had started out with paraffin, I would be comfortable with that now. To expand my wax experience, I have been working with J50 in containers and plain paraffin making pillars.

I think everyone knows here that there are no correct answers to the soy vs paraffin arguments, only opinions and personal preferences.

IMO I think paraffin gets a bad rap, just because it is a petroleum product. Who's to say that it is less natural than soy? Petroleum is derived from plant and animal life, just from millions of years ago! It's concentrated dinosaur extract! Truly a miracle of natural recycling! ;)

geek

I know plenty of people, including my sister, who can not burn petroleum based candles because of allergies. However each one burns soy candles and it does not aggrevate their allergies at all. That's enough proof for me that there is indeed a difference that makes soy worth using.