6006 users (or anyone actually)....

About 2 months ago, I lost my mind and decided to rewick ALL my candles.  I've used zinc wicks for a long time, but I'm trying to get away from them (that's a whole other story in itself).  I've been working on this for the full 2 months.  It doesn't help that I also have a new container.  The container is a tumbler style, basically 3" diameter with about a half inch taper towards the bottom.  Shouldn't wick much differently than a status, which is what I was using, and I really didn't think this would be so hard.

I started testing CD's (mainly 8's and 10's) since I already use those once in a while, but overall I am not pleased with them.  Soot, erratic flames, yadda yadda.  Then I moved on to LX (18 & 20) but I can't get a decent MP until the bottom 1/4 and then it's hotter than hell's kitchen and the flame is big and erratic.  I threw in a few RRD's, but couldn't make those work.  Now I'm testing Eco, because the dear, lovely Trappeur gave me a bunch when I visited her.  Surprisingly, they aren't terrible.  Good enough that I have decided to try and make them work, but they are a little puzzling.

I have had a decent amount of success with Eco 6 & 8 in the light to medium FO's.  The puzzling part is I cannot wick anything heavy (think amber, etc).  I can't get a decent MP with 6 or 8 but 10 tunnels fast...like it's overwicked.  I've gone up and down, but no matter which way I go, I get basically the same size MP.  Just a bigger or smaller flame.  Am I missing something?

Or does anyone else have any insight?  Any other wick suggestions?  Hugs and prayers?

Always hugs!! 💗💗💗

I can't remember, do you hate HTPs? I'm thinking the answer is yes, but honestly I think they are just the most fantabulous wick for the super viscious parrafins and parasol blends. You're still doing a parasoy, right?

I really did not like the Eco's at all, the burn was too unattractive and they are too fussy for me. I haven't tried CDs or LXs, sorry!

So really I'm not much help at all! 😂😂 But if you want to try the HTPs, I have a crapload and I'd be happy to mail you a sample set!

• Like 1

SENDING TONS OF HUGS AND PRAYERS YOUR WAY!

Sarah, I believe she has tumbled between 6006 and 4630 with the intentions to try CBL but CW is always OOS when she attempts to order.  I have only heard of HTPs and Zincs working the best with paraffin candles but I may be missing something as well.  Sorry I cannot have the magic answer...or wick!

• Like 1

I haven't used 6006 lately, but I used LX's in it when I did. But here is my theory, batches of wax and oils for that matter are very inconsistent, so depending on the batch, the weather, the pouring conditions, etc. I think that it will never be 100% perfect all the time. You can drive yourself crazy with wax/wick combos. I would just test away til I found the best combination and go with that. There will be fragrances that you have used for years and one day, BAM, its not working like before.

Good Luck though, the struggle is real.

• Like 1

LOL....thank you both for the support @Sarah S @Fireside

A smarter person would not have chosen to switch containers and wicks at the same time.  And a container with a taper.  Ugh.

Eco's are giving me a clean burn and the flame is much calmer than CD or LX low in the jar.  That's what I like. I just have to go down multiple sizes from what all the charts recommend.  Not playing nice with heavy FO's is a real head-scratcher.  They have been promising enough to test further.  They may not win in the end.  

I used to use HTP's exclusively with 4630.  Several customers bring back their containers. That gives me a lot of insight into how they burn candles.  I took in a few jars that I was sure were not over-wicked but the wicks had fallen over near the bottom and extinguished.  I couldn't solve that problem so I shelved the HTP's.  They do burn nice, but I just don't know how to prevent that from happening.  Too many of my people power burn.  Kinda the same reason I want to stop using zincs.  I recently took in a few containers that had too much wick residue.  People are power burning without trimming....

so I thought I'd try again with self-trimming wicks......

and then I just tumbled down this rabbit hole.

Edited by bfroberts
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I've used zinc wicks for a long time, but I'm trying to get away from them (that's a whole other story in itself).

I have had a decent amount of success with Eco 6 & 8 in the light to medium FO's.  The puzzling part is I cannot wick anything heavy (think amber, etc).  I can't get a decent MP with 6 or 8 but 10 tunnels fast...like it's overwicked.  I've gone up and down, but no matter which way I go, I get basically the same size MP.  Just a bigger or smaller flame.  Am I missing something?

Or does anyone else have any insight?  Any other wick suggestions?  Hugs and prayers?

Oh my, you've always been my mentor when it comes to wicking 6006. I would love to know the story with the zincs, and please keep us informed on your progress; I have a large collection of ECO wicks, maybe I should try and fit them into my wick list. Do hugs and prayers count if they are motivated by self interest? If so I'm sending lots of them.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Forrest said:

Oh my, you've always been my mentor when it comes to wicking 6006. I would love to know the story with the zincs, and please keep us informed on your progress; I have a large collection of ECO wicks, maybe I should try and fit them into my wick list. Do hugs and prayers count if they are motivated by self interest? If so I'm sending lots of them.

If I'm being perfectly honest, every single wick I have tested works pretty good in 6006.  The problem is, they don't quite measure up to zincs.  I like the way zincs burn in 6006 and 4630.  Perfect, symmetrical melt pools, a rigid core, calm flame, and all that.  These others are killing me with the off center MP, curling wicks, erratic flames.  Nothing particularly detrimental. It just looks messy.  If I had to choose, I'd say I've had more successes with LX so far, but I don't like the way the flame acts.  It'll do, but I don't like it.  The Ecos are calmer, but if I can't figure out the heavy scents, they'll never do.  Really, I am just shocked that they aren't terrible. Everyone seems to hate them.

I'm gonna keep plugging away at it for a bit, but if I were you, I wouldn't dust off the Eco stash just yet.  They aren't the magic wick, but they might prove useful to a degree.

I think the gist of it is I like figuring candles out more than I like actually making candles.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I think the gist of it is I like figuring candles out more than I like actually making candles.

Me too, my hobby seems to be testing candles rather than making them. The candles I burn around the house are all the remnants of test candles. Have you tried the Premier 700 wicks? In my test they seemed to bend less than the CDs or LXs. What size ECO would you recommend for an 8oz tin? I’ll pour three different sizes on Saturday, but it may be three weeks before I can burn them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forrest said:

Me too, my hobby seems to be testing candles rather than making them. The candles I burn around the house are all the remnants of test candles. Have you tried the Premier 700 wicks? In my test they seemed to bend less than the CDs or LXs. What size ECO would you recommend for an 8oz tin? I’ll pour three different sizes on Saturday, but it may be three weeks before I can burn them.

I really don't know. Eco 6 maybe.  I don't have a handle on it yet, plus I'm wicking a glass jar with a taper and tins are their own animal as are Eco's....
This morning I relit 7 candles that are wicked with Eco or LX.  These are all on 5th, 6th & 7th burns.  I'm not happy with how they perform without trimming.  They burn well but that relight is ugly.  It's ridiculous that I am even testing these wicks because the initial point of the thing was to go with something self-trimming.  
All of my testers have been poured 3+ weeks.  I pulled candles off the shelf and removed the zinc wicks to test these.  If I don't settle on something soon I won't have anything to sell.

58 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I don't know about your wax but the Premier wicks seem to come in the most sizes so you can always find that in-between for the tougher fo's.

I tested those a while back but they discolored the wax. Could have been because I over-wicked. Eco will do the same if its too big.  I probably should re-visit them to be sure. Thanks.

• Like 1

How are things coming along?  Despite your other issues with the wicks, how is the throw you are getting?  I have seen 6006 come in very yellow batches and some more white.  Have you ever thought about making your own blend so you at least know what is changing batch to batch?  Maybe I should order some 6006 and we all test alongside one another. 

13 minutes ago, Fireside said:

How are things coming along?  Despite your other issues with the wicks, how is the throw you are getting?  I have seen 6006 come in very yellow batches and some more white.  Have you ever thought about making your own blend so you at least know what is changing batch to batch?  Maybe I should order some 6006 and we all test alongside one another. 

Still plodding along.  Not super happy with anything.  I thought I was getting somewhere with Eco, but some of my scents aren't playing nice, and I'd like to keep it to one wick series across the board, if possible.  I have completely ruled out CD and RRD.  Working with LX and Eco ATM.  I will test HTP next.

I haven't had any major issues with batch to batch inconsistency.  I've played around with blending and never could find anything that was any better than 6006 on it's own.  I wanted to switch to a self-trimming wick because I don't think my customers are very reliable trimmers.  But then I decided just to try this and that, and I got caught up in this trap of retesting everything. 
I am nose-blind as heck a lot lately.  I have 6-8 candles burning all the time since this started.  If I ever settle on a wick, I'll have to send out testers for feedback.  It sometimes seems like I'm getting less throw with LX, but that could be strictly my imagination.  My nose cannot be trusted.

• Like 1

Does 6006 seem to be a softer greasy wax or more firm dry wax? 

I once blended 4627/KY parasoy votive wax (50/50) with HTP many years ago.  That candle had such a steady flame and no soot, you would think it was fake.  Yes the HTP made for an uneven melt pool.  However, I dont know if many customers would care about that or frequently stare over the candle the whole time they are burning it to notice.  It also seemed to catch up after awhile at least in my test so I didnt worry about one side of the glass taking all of the heat.  I guess I just wonder if going back to me blending 4627 with a decent soy at the same ratio as 6006 (70p/30s) that we could get a more consistent result.  I guess you do not sound like your wax lots vary much though so that is lucky :)

• Like 1