Soap Frosting

ruralers

I haven't tried making soap frosting yet, but I think it looks super fun.  Do most soapers use their base soap batter for frosting or do you make a separate batter or a batter with different ingredients/percentages for your frosting?  BTW, I am not fishing for recipes, I am just curious.   I tried searching through the forum to glean more information on this topic, but I wasn't able to find a thread.  I really appreciate your thoughts! 

12 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I’m not quite sure what you mean by some frosting. You have an example?

Sorry about that.  I was referring to soap piping that you can use to form leaves, roses, or other decorative shapes out of CP soap.  I called it frosting, since I was picturing it on the top of soap. 

Frosting means something totally different in the candle world.

2 hours ago, ruralers said:

I haven't tried making soap frosting yet, but I think it looks super fun.  Do most soapers use their base soap batter for frosting or do you make a separate batter or a batter with different ingredients/percentages for your frosting?  BTW, I am not fishing for recipes, I am just curious.   I tried searching through the forum to glean more information on this topic, but I wasn't able to find a thread.  I really appreciate your thoughts! 

I use the same recipe, but I make a new, smaller batch, that is unscented. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruralers said:

Sorry about that.  I was referring to soap piping that you can use to form leaves, roses, or other decorative shapes out of CP soap.  I called it frosting, since I was picturing it on the top of soap. 

Frosting means something totally different in the candle world.

I knew what you meant, and yeah, as stated, I make the same recipe but don't scent my frosting/piping but I will sometimes color it. I don't frost a lot of my soaps though. Very few. 

• Like 1

I use a slightly different recipe, with more solid fats. I'm impatient and I want it to set up quick, lol. I'll fragrance it if I have a non-discoloring FO that works with the theme.

I have made some super cute soap cupcakes as gifts in the past. They were fun to make and well received. Not a method I use regularly though, because it is pretty labor intensive, but great for a special soap!

• Like 1

I too use the same recipe but stick blend it to a thicker trace.  I scent my frosting as I try to use non discoloring FO's.  If they are FO's that discolor I use Vanilla Stabilizer.   I only make about 15-20 a year as I have one large show where they sell well there for some reason.  They don't do well at my other shows so I don't bother.  If I have any leftovers I give them as gifts or to my grandkids.

• Like 1